The position is intended for individuals with prior experience working as a histotechnician or histotechnologist and possess ASCP certification in Histotechnology. The individual in this position will perform all routine histopathology functions, as well as handle some more complex tasks.
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s), according to policies and procedures.
- Capable of performing all of the duties/responsibilities of a Histotechnician I and II.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for special stain procedures.
- Obtain, verify and/or validate tissue used in special stains.
- Perform all special stain procedures, both manual and automated.
- May prepare solutions and reagents for IHC procedures.
- May obtain, verify and/or validate control material used in IHC procedures.
- May perform IHC testing.
- May perform gross tissue examination (high complexity testing) if meets personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the corporate Minimum Qualifications for Non-Pathologist Performing Gross Tissue Examinations SOP.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment and troubleshoot minor equipment failures. Document remedial actions such as repairs or repeated tests.
- Provide training and guidance to Histotechnicians, students and lab aides.
- Perform limited QA/QC functions and identify issues requiring troubleshooting.
- Perform specimen preparation on non-gynecological specimens, including cytopreparation, staining, coverslipping, etc. after completing training on non-gynecological specimen types. This includes specimen preparation of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) specimens
- Adhere to laboratory’s quality control policies and document all quality control activities.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
Required Work Experience:
- AS degree or equivalent training and experience
- HT (ASCP)
- 1-year Histology experience
- Current state licensure, if applicable
- Meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Policy for Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician and Histology Supervisor.
- If performing Immunohistochemistry testing, meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Immunohistochemistry Testing SOP.
Preferred Work Experience:
- BS degree
- HTL (ASCP)
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program
- 3 years of histopathology experience
- Immunohistochemistry experience
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity
NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program