Medical Technologist Trainee
Medical Technologist Trainee | Wood Dale, IL
Sunday to Thursday
Perform assigned test procedures under the supervision of senior laboratory personnel in those specialties in which they are qualified by education, training and experience.
* Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required – exemptions from vaccination requirement for medical and religious reasons will be considered if a conditional offer of employment is extended.
- Perform assigned analytical tests under the direction of senior laboratory personnel in accordance with applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) ensuring that applicable quality control requirements are met.
- Actively support and comply with laboratory policies and procedures.
- Adhere to analytical schedules to maintain a turnaround time of results including STATS or critical results to clients.
- Ensure that test systems are in control for each test performed.
- Responsible for informing supervisory personnel of all problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures.
- Report any actual or potential deviation from standard or accepted testing procedures and cooperate fully with any investigation of same.
- Maintain laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional, and sanitary condition.
- Complete training and competency checklists as appropriate.
- Adheres to all established CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, and laboratory safety requirements.
- Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
Previous experience in a clinical laboratory.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual and automated pipettes and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity.
- Basic theoretical and operational job knowledge in designated specialty required.
- Knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to work independently, establish work priorities and handle several tasks simultaneously for maximum department efficiency.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Communication skills necessary to handle telephone inquiries from clients.
- Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).