Patient Care Technician - PCT
- 2021 and 2022 America's 'Most Loved Workplaces' by Newsweek
- Outpatient offers NO: Overnight, Sunday or on-call shifts, major holidays off
- No prior healthcare experience required, on the job paid training to become nationally certified, upon certification receive a pay increase & promotion
- 12 weeks of paid & structured training with an assigned Preceptor & Nurse Educator
- 70,000+ dedicated employees, 200,000+ patients, 2,600+ dialysis centers, 350+ research sites across North America
- Patient to staff ratio (staff 4:1), GREAT TEAMWORK IN THIS CLINIC
- Up to $5,200 RN tuition reimbursement per calendar year
About this role: As a Patient Care Technician (PCT) at Fresenius Medical Care, you play a vital part in supporting people who entrust us with their care, their families, and your fellow care team members. You will build deep relationships with patients when they come into our clinic.
How you grow or advance: Previous healthcare experience is not required to join us as a PCT. Passion for helping others, teamwork, and a desire to learn and grow are what you need to be successful. We will provide robust training and support as you kick off your career, and we will introduce you to career path options as you grow with us either as a PCT or venture into a new role such as Registered Nurse or a leadership role.
Our culture: We believe our employees are our most important asset — we value, care about, and support our people. We are there when you may need us most, from tuition reimbursement to support your education goals, scholarships to family members, relief when natural disasters strike, and financial support when personal hardship hits; we take care of our people.
Our focus on diversity: We have built a nurturing environment that welcomes every age, race, gender, sexual orientation, background, and cultural tradition. We have a diverse range of employee resource groups (ERGs) to encourage employees with similar interests, goals, social and cultural backgrounds, or experiences to come together for professional and personal development, discussion, activities, and peer support. Our diverse workforce and culture encourage opportunity, equity, and inclusion for all, which is a tremendous asset that sets us apart.
At Fresenius Medical Care, you will truly make a difference in the lives of people living with kidney disease. If this sounds like the career and company you have been looking for, and you want to be a vital part of the future of healthcare, apply today.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a member of the nephrology healthcare team, you will provide safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse.
• Sets up, tests, and operates hemodialysis machines for patient treatments.
• Obtains and documents necessary pre- and post-treatment vital signs and weight for each patient.
• Evaluates vascular access pre-treatment and performs vascular access cannulation.
• Evaluates intradialytic problems and provides intervention as prescribed by physician order or as directed.
• Monitors patients’ response to dialysis therapy.
• Evaluates patient prior to termination of venous access and discontinues dialysis treatment according to established procedures.
• Reports any significant information and/or change in patient condition directly to supervisor.
• Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical application in an accurate and timely manner.
• Collects, labels, appropriately prepares, and stores lab samples according to required laboratory specifications.
• Cleans and disinfects dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment, and surrounding area between treatments according to facility policy.
• Assists other healthcare members in providing patient education.
• Prepares, organizes, and efficiently uses supplies and equipment to prevent waste.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES:
• High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
• Qualities and traits: dependable, compassionate, caring, supportive, collaborative, reliable.
• Previous patient care experience in a hospital setting or a related facility (preferred but not required).
• Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of the Fresenius Medical Care dialysis training program and successful completion of CPR certification.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. We will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
• Day-to-day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff, and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to regional, business unit and corporate meetings may be required.
• The work environment is characteristic of a healthcare facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
• The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance. This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment, exerting up to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to lift and to lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs., and on an occasional basis lift up to 40 lbs., as high as 5 feet. There is a 2-person assist program and "material assist” devices for the heavier items.