Student Social Work Clinical Placement
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer services standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve, and follow up regarding customer services issues with all customers in a timely manner.
- As a member of the interdisciplinary team, assesses patients' psychosocial status, strengths and areas of need that may affect rehabilitation and optimal treatment outcomes as part of the comprehensive patient assessment.
- Participates in care planning in collaboration with the patient and healthcare team to identify effective interventions that will help the patient meet rehabilitation, treatment goals, and improve quality of life.
- Utilizes FMS Ultra Care patient education programs, established social work theory and methods and quality of life measurement instruments as part of assessment and care planning to resolve barriers and meet patient treatment goals.
- Provides established outcomes driven psycho-educational counseling methods aimed at improving areas of need, treatment adherence, vocational/educational rehabilitation and/or quality of life.
- Provides supportive and goal directed counseling to patients who are seeking transplant.
- Assesses patient awareness of advance directives; assists with accessing advance directive forms/information and facilitates discussion of advance directive wishes, if necessary, with the healthcare team and the patient's family/support persons.
- Will provide general information about Do Not Resuscitate Orders and Advanced Directives.
- Provides information and assists the team and patient with referral to community resources (home health services, vocational rehabilitation, etc.) to facilitate optimal treatment outcomes.
- Provides usual care and/or Social Work Intensive to address non-adherence and quality of life concerns for all patients.
- Knowledgeable of and adheres to FMCNA Social Work Policy, including documentation.
- Assess patient knowledge of kidney disease for barriers that may affect adherence to treatment. Works with patient, family and health care team to provide education tailored to the patient's learning style and needs.
- With other members of the interdisciplinary team, provides appropriate information about all treatment modalities. Facilitates the transplant referral process and collaborates with interdisciplinary team, if delegated by Clinical Manager.
- Provides ongoing education to patient/family regarding psychosocial issues related to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and all support services that are available.
- Reviewed patient rights and responsibilities, grievance information (company and network) and other facilities policies with patient and/or the patients' representative to ensure patients' understanding of the rights and expectations of them.
- Collaborates with the team on appropriate QAI activities.
- Maintains current knowledge regarding local vocational/educational rehabilitation programs and assist patients with referral and access to vocational rehabilitation to enable them to remain employed, become employed or receive education.
- Understands FMCNA financial policies and procedures as they related to patient services. Collaborate with Financial Coordinators to educate patients about programs that may be available to assist with uncovered services, how to resolve billing concerns, and understand financial responsibilities.
- Works with the administrative support staff to maintain updated patient resource lists (e.g. maintain updated list of transportation resources).
- Develops and provides training to staff pertaining to psychosocial topics as needed. Trains staff in Ultra Care Programs as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.