Assistant Animal Technician
Under close supervision, in this role, you will perform routine
animal husbandry tasks. Duties include
the cleaning, feeding, and watering of laboratory animals; the cleaning of
cages/enclosures, related ancillary equipment; and the maintenance of animal
- Skill in providing humane care and
maintenance to several species of animals and providing proper restraint for
several species of animals.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pound bags of
feed, bedding or animals. Ability to
push up to 300 pound cage racks.
- Ability to write and understand English and to follow written and oral
- Working knowledge of hygienic principles and
basic animal husbandry.
- Ability to work in an animal research environment which requires
continuous contact with animals.
- Ability to understand established guidelines for humane care and
welfare of laboratory animals as described by 'Guide for The Care and Use of
- Ability to euthanize rats and mice using CO2
chambers. Must be able to follow the procedures for euthanasia
including the use of the CO2 chamber, as well as be able to ascertain that
death has occurred. Knowledge of appropriate labeling and disposal of
the animals euthanized, including bio-hazardous animals.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply the concept of contamination
control practices including engineering, administrative, and procedural
controls for the containment of pathogens, including disinfection, and
waste handling methods appropriate for work in bio-containment animal
facilities up to BSL2 level with BSL3 practices.
- Knowledge of and ability to accurately follow all SOPs associated with
a GLP study, including required by study protocol and GLP documentation
- Ability to participate on weekend/Holiday work rotations and
occasional overtime duties.
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.[Register to View] />