Senior Informatics Technical Specialist (Western Part of the US )
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
PLEASE NOTE: This is not an active open requisition. We are building a candidate slate for a future opening.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
- The role covers clients across the nation. US travel will be required.
- Qualified candidates preferred to live in the Western part of the US.
- Relocation assistance is not authorized for this position.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior Informatics Technical Specialist (Sr. ITS) primary job function is to serve as the subject matter expert for the installation, integration, verification, and support of Abbott Digital Health informatics applications. This position will utilize, develop, and implement advanced data integration processes and guide client database management or access processes. The position will also be integrally involved in the installation strategies for the most complex and largest customer base such as key strategic customers and national/regional health systems.
- The implementation strategy includes pre-implementation planning and preparation, software installation, connectivity, verification testing, customer training, and technical support.
- Activities may be performed remotely or on site and require coordination with Abbott project managers and customer LIS, IT, DBA and laboratory staff.
- Many projects must be managed concurrently.
- Serve as technical expert and the communication link to global support for field service organization and customers where advanced support as needed.
- Initiate and implement competitive comparisons to support business strategy as appropriate. Builds and maintains effective long-term relationships with internal and external customers.
- Manages and supports sales objective and customer satisfaction to grow the business.
- This resource will apply their advanced technical IT and networking knowledge to analyze user needs, gather customer requirements, design an integrated, scalable, and comprehensive informatics solution to improve the utilization and value of the solutions for clinical diagnostic customers.
- The Senior ITS position will have enhanced responsibilities surrounding the deployment, maintenance and utilization of the Abbott AlinIQ Integrated Platform.
- Serve as the informatics technical expert for the field service organization to provide enhanced support as need to address customer needs.
- As the technical expert this role will serve as the communication link between the field service organization and direct customers to the global support organization where necessary.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for the US Area Services team.
- Display leadership in mentoring/coaching fellow team members to continue to advancement of skills throughout the team.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility and complete each year under expense plan with primary goal of exceeding each year’s work plan.
- Must be able to multi-task and coordinate with a complex network of departments throughout all levels of an organization such as sales representatives, lab managers, project managers, IT personnel, HIS and LIS personnel, internal and external vendors and contractors, and senior level management as needed.
- Responsible for implementing and maintain the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Adheres to and promotes the Abbott Code of Business Conduct.
- Success in this position will depend on strong leadership and forming effective partnerships with external customers, lower grade level ITS team members, internal sales and support organizations and the Global support organization.
- The Senior ITS position will report to the US Area Service Manager
- The Senior ITS must have strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate with both the very IT technical individuals and the individuals across a multitude of organizational tiers without a technical background.
- Position requires the ability to apply advanced strategic thinking/logic to develop customized informatics solutions based on the unique needs and circumstances of each customer.
- This assignment requires regular travel to customer sites for intensive installation & consulting projects, presentations, and escalation level support.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree required with preferred areas in computer science, information systems, medical technology, or related field.
- Candidates must demonstrate strong knowledge of general networking, server technologies/ services, workstation/desktop technology, internet protocols, remote connectivity and Microsoft Windows Server (NT/2000/XP/2k3) skills.
- Areas of expertise should also include virtual server, corporate virus protection products, back-up systems, firewalls, VPN client and tunnel technologies.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of formal IT technical experience is required.
- Familiarity with laboratory workflow and operations required, with a background as a medical technologist being ideal, however, other work experience within the lab environment would be acceptable.
- Excellent communication, organization, project management, consulting knowledge, and attention to detail required.
- Travel greater than =>25% should be expected.
- Education or experience in Medical technology or clinical laboratory science, ASCP, CLS (NCA) highly preferred.
- Additional experience in the hospital or laboratory information systems environment preferred.
- Experience with Abbott Diagnostic's instrument systems a strong plus.
- Additional knowledge in Docker container, Swarm environment, [Register to View] HL7/FHIR and Postgres SQL with PGAdmin strongly preferred.