Software Engineer (Back End)
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Chicago, IL, currently has an opportunity for a seasoned Software Engineer to produce scalable software solutions. You'll be part of a cross-functional team responsible for the entire software development life cycle, from conception to deployment.
As a Full Stack software engineer, you should be comfortable and proficient with both front-end web application development using React and back-end development using Spring Boot. You should also be a team player with excellent communication skills and great attention to detail.
We want to meet you if you're also familiar with Pair Programming agile software development technique and experience with Test Driven Development (TDD).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Managing the complete software development process from conception to deployment
- Build high performant scalable, secure applications using Spring Boot
- Develop and design RESTful services and applications using Spring Boot.
- Modifying and testing changes to previously developed programs
- Write technical documentation
- Stay current and provide insight on cutting-edge software approaches, architectures, and vendors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in IT
- 2+ years or more in Spring Boot
- Prior experience integrating 3rd party APIs using Spring Boot
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Strong understanding of integration with REST services and knowledge of RESTful APIs,
- Proficiency in Java or Kotlin. This includes OO Design as well as Functional Programming features.
- Experience building RESTful APIs using Spring Boot.
- Experience integrating 3rd party APIs
- Experience building asynchronous services using Kafka or equivalent is a plus
- Experience developing in Azure cloud is a plus
- Good experience in Unit Testing principles and tools such as Jest and JUnit
- Knowledge of modern authorization mechanisms, such as JSON Web Token
- Familiarity with modern CI/CD pipelines and tools such as GitHub Action
- GIT experience is a plus
- Experience in ES6 or TypeScript and understanding of React.js and its core principles and familiarity with HTML / CSS is beneficial and nice-to-have.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong attention to detail and a head for problem-solving
- Skilled at working in tandem with a team or unsupervised as required
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.