Vice President, Head of Sales and Marketing CDMO
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Head of Sales & Marketing is responsible for all sales and marketing activities, including leadership and development of the of the global Sales & marketing team members, Key Account Managers Inside Sales &Marketing. Focus is on small to mid to large pharma across clinical and commercial programs for Development Services, Drug Substance Manufacturing and Drug Product Manufacturing. In addition, the position will be responsible for the marketing of our services and capabilities. This will include the oversite of our brand messaging, market presence and budgets. The position is expected to drive global business growth through the brand awareness, lead generation, identification, evaluation, recommendation and negotiation of development and manufacturing contracts.
Reporting directly to the SVP and Head of CDMO Business Unit and aligning to the Emergent BioSolutions vision and strategies, the successful candidate will develop and implement plans to achieve global sales and marketing objectives. This role is fully responsible for developing and leading the team to generate brand awareness, grow sustainable revenues and achieve individual and team goals including being exceptional in prospect and client engagement and coaching the team members.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage Vision and Purpose:
- Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about direction and possibilities; is optimistic
- Creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision;
- Makes the vision sharable by everyone
- Can inspire and motivate individuals and teams
- Staff Leadership:
- Translates mission, vision and values into actionable goals and objectives
- Provides effective structure, direction and feedback
- Creates environment where staff feel valued, respected and empowered
- Shows appreciation for and rewards individual and group excellence
- Demonstrates high standards of ethics and fairness
- Takes appropriate risks and encourages staff to do the same
- Works through conflict and insures productive resolution
- Customer Focus/Team Work:
- Develops and maintains excellent customer satisfaction levels with internal and external audiences
- Demonstrates a bias toward service, quality and teamwork. Builds constructive and effective working relationships internally and externally
- Is an effective collaborator and is committed to the success of all stakeholders
- Results Oriented:
- Knows how to get things done in an effective and efficient manner with available resources. Plans and prioritizes work, sets and accomplishes goals, and completes quality work on schedule
- Maintains a sense of urgency in accomplishing work
- Strives to improve own and team performance
- Transparent in sharing team successes as well as challenges in an effort to improve and achieve team KPI’s
- Takes personal responsibility, leads by example and is conscientious
- Demonstrates initiative and is committed to and enthusiastic about driving to organizational success
- Business Acumen:
- Understands very well how the Biologics CDMO industry works
- Knowledgeable in policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition
- Aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace
- Decision Making:
- Makes timely and sound decisions based on a combination of analysis, experience and judgment
- Consults others, as appropriate
- Understands and takes into consideration how decisions impact others
- Achieve all sales and portfolio targets; meeting annual and (future year) sales and revenue targets
- Lead, manage and develop the global Sales & Marketing team
- Ensure that all Proposals meet company standards and are set up for success
- Oversee and assist in the negotiation of contracts (MSA, CSA, partnership agreements, etc.) for Prospects and Customers; Dive negotiation of Strategic Account Agreements.
- Ensure that all Prospect / Customer Initial Site Visits meet company standards
- Enhance a consistent customer experience at the CDMO sites
- Develop and implement strategies aimed toward increasing sustainable revenue; Build and increase the business portfolio/pipeline for the region.
- Ensure the right level of funnel activity to drive our core CDMO business
- Follow up with diligent feedback and strategies to address any concerns
- Organize and diligently track contracting
- Define and drive a prospecting strategy that leads to a sustainable pipeline of new business
- Build and sustain positive, effective and trusting relationships and alliances, both internally and externally
- Coordinate both internal and external technical, legal and/or financial due diligence activities regarding regional business opportunities, as needed
- Provide market intelligence to relevant cross-functional teams
- Represent the company at trade shows, community and/or business meetings
- Builds the Marketing strategies to drive the Inbound Marketing and lead generation and follow up through SQL
- Serve as a member of the CDMO Business Unit Leadership Team
- Serve on pertinent customer Joint Steering Committees
- Key Sales and Marketing Annual Performance Objectives/Metrics:
- New Sales won
- Backlog won
- Weighted Pipeline generated
- New Early Phase / Clinical and Late-Phase / Commercial Awards and Projects won
- New Small / Mid / Large Pharma & Biotech Awards and Projects won
- Win Rate achieved
- Contract Close Time achieved
- Funnel Size, Prospecting Follow up, Lead Generation
- Team Knowledge and Communication Effectiveness about Our Capabilities and Offerings demonstrated
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelors’ Degree in relevant scientific (Chemistry, Biology) and / or Engineering (Chemical) discipline; graduate degree (MS or MBA) is preferable
- Dynamic, hands on professional with 10+ years of proven success driving business development activities within the biologics CDMO or closely aligned industry
- Experience in contract negotiation required
- Experience working in the biologics (CDMO)industry required
- Experience in negotiating and winning contracts with multiple Small / mid / large Pharma companies
- Ability to work on multiple tasks at once without losing track, as well as foreseeing and planning around potential obstacles
- A highly motivated self-starter, capable of hitting the ground running and excelling in a high growth, fast-paced and highly complex business environment
- Demonstrated professional and consultative nature: able to listen well and deal calmly with sensitive and / or urgent situations
- Diligent and thorough with a focus on detail alongside a determination to chase every lead and leave no stone unturned
- Ability to travel extensively
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our [Register to View]
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.