Retail Store Manager
The Store Manager In Training (SMIT) job is the first step in the CVS/pharmacy Retail Management Development Program, and is a short-term role (not to exceed 24 months) that provides both work assignments and training opportunities to prepare SMITs to be promoted into a Store Manager role. From the date of entry into the CVS/pharmacy Retail Management Development program as an SMIT, it may be possible to progress to a Store Manager position within 12 weeks-24 months, depending on the prior experience and performance of the SMIT, and then to field management and/or executive opportunities in 3-5 years.
A SMIT is a member of the Store Management team, and as such, fulfills the company purpose of helping people on their path to better health by driving store execution and performance while building consumer loyalty to CVS/pharmacy through a focus on excellent customer service. Under the supervision of the Store Manager, the SMIT will maintain an engaged, productive store team through strong leadership, demonstrating initiative and leading by example.
The SMIT is responsible for supporting the Store Manager in the total leadership and strategic operation of a CVS/pharmacy store including:
• Overall store management, supervision, and policy implementation
• Sales and inventory management
• Employee staffing, training, and development
• Financial management
• Customer service leadership
The Store Management team receives support from their individual store team, but other support and direction come from regional field management, call centers, distribution centers, and Customer Support Center headquarters.In addition to day-to-day management responsibilities, SMITs are also responsible for completing operations and management skills training, and learning about key aspects of the business and CVS/pharmacy culture, in order to prepare for promotion to a Store Manager position. This extensive training course is designed to provide a strong foundation to prepare a SMIT to be able to assume supervisory duties and operational control of a store immediately upon promotion into a Store Manager position. SMITs must maintain satisfactory performance and must demonstrate consistent progression through the training program in order to remain in the role and be considered for Store Manager openings. No SMIT may remain in role for longer than 24 months.
Selection for the SMIT position does not guarantee promotion into a Store Manager position. Whether and when an SMIT is actually promoted to Store Manager is dependent on a variety of factors, including but not limited to performance and availability of Store Manager openings.
• Lead others and work effectively with store crews
• Supervise, assign and direct activities of the store’s crew
• Effectively communicate information to store crew and supervisors in an open and timely manner
• Support Store Manager with actions plans for operational and service improvement
2. Customer Service
• Assist customers with their questions, problems and complaints
• Promote CVS customer service culture (greet, offer help, and thank)
• Provide colleagues personalized customer service feedback and coaching (E.g., myImpact coaching; myCustomer feedback; personal observations)
• Handle all customer relations issues in accordance with company policy
• Promote a positive shopping experience for all customers
• Maintain customer/patient confidentiality
• Price merchandise
• Stock shelves
• Reset departments following POGs adapting them to a particular store
• Organize and execute the display and signing of weekly, major promotional and seasonal merchandise
• Organize and execute the display and maintenance of off-shelf merchandise
4. Loss Prevention
• Control use of register keys, securing door keys, alarm codes, and safecombinations
• Execute locking of safe and security doors and setting of alarms when closing the store
• Complete random cash verifications; journal tape checks; analyze Cashier Analysis Report
• Identify and react to shoplifters and apprehend to secure company assets and process shoplifters accordingly
• Protect store assets
• Administer, monitor, and react to Internal Loss Prevention programs and systems: employee bag checks; lockers secured; receipts for purchases
• Maintain and react to Electronic Article Surveillance system
• Ensure price accuracy, using POS Price Accuracy Report and in-store price audits
• Respond to MIS
• Review electronic journal
• Access, input, retrieve and analyze information from the computer
• Order regular and promotional merchandise, maintaining appropriate inventory levels using the Telxon machine
• Maintain an organized office and backroom
• Work reserve stock
• Oversee and execute the preparation of the daily cash report and weekly summary
• Develop sales/hours forecasts
• Load and unload deliveries
• Lift 35 pound trays/cases to a height of 4 feet
• Move trays/cases from one location to another
• Verify and document billing of merchandise (check-in merchandise)
• Execute and document merchandise returns and inter-store transfers
• Operate a cash register - including: cash, check and charge transactions
• Bagging merchandise
• Execute and document: Cash/check pulls; deposits; returned check payments; check acceptance;refunds; voids; discounts; cashier verifications; rain-checks; signing crew members on/off; taking closing readings
• Deliver deposits and secure change from the bank maintain a balanced imprest fund
• Schedule daily, weekly activities; prepare weekly work schedules based on store’s budgeted hours
• Finalize weekly payroll
• Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and federal and state laws
• Prepare, complete and distribute reports and records: paid out summary; key rec’s (accounts payable); MU/MD; customer cash discrepancy; returnable merchandise; accident reports; various other surveys as requested
• Open/close store
• Conduct a walk through of the store and establish a prioritized list of tasks
• Answer telephone
• Identify and react to in-store repairs
• Execute payment of outside vendors as appropriate
6. Human Resources
• Train, develop, and evaluate crew members and supervisors
• Execute all necessary documentation for H.R.I.S. administration: hiring kits; staff enrollment forms, changes of status forms for all store personnel
• Conduct performance appraisals for all directly assigned personnel
• Ensure on-the-job safety of all employees and treatment for employee injuries sustained on the job
• Coach and execute counseling discussions with store employees
• Maintain a work place free from discrimination and harassment
7. Financial Reporting/Administration
• Analyze operating reports/documents and make recommendations on how to improve store performance and implement plans
• Prepare the store for a physical inventory
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inven
The typical pay range for this role is:
Please keep in mind that this range represents the pay range for all positions in the job grade within which this position falls. The actual salary offer will take into account a wide range of factors, including location.
‐ Willingness to accept promotion into a CVS/pharmacy Store Manager position if promotion is offered
‐ Ability to transfer to other CVS/pharmacy stores located within the same District
‐ Ability to work a full-time flexible schedule, including some early morning, overnight and weekend shifts, to work overtime as needed, and to respond to urgent issues at the store when they arise
‐ 5 + years of retail management experience, or experience as a CVS Supervisor
‐ Ability to transfer to other CVS/pharmacy locations outside of the same District
‐ A high school diploma or GED is required.
- A four year college degree is preferred, or relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a college degree.
Bring your heart to CVS Health
Every one of us at CVS Health shares a single, clear purpose: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. This purpose guides our commitment to deliver enhanced human-centric health care for a rapidly changing world. Anchored in our brand — with heart at its center — our purpose sends a personal message that how we deliver our services is just as important as what we deliver.
Our Heart At Work Behaviors™ support this purpose. We want everyone who works at CVS Health to feel empowered by the role they play in transforming our culture and accelerating our ability to innovate and deliver solutions to make health care more personal, convenient and affordable.
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day.
CVS Health is an affirmative action employer, and is an equal opportunity employer, as are the physician-owned businesses for which CVS Health provides management services. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.