Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
In Abbott’s Electrophysiology (EP) business, we’re advancing the treatment of heart disease through breakthrough medical technologies in atrial fibrillation, allowing people to restore their health and get on with their lives.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Plymouth, MN location, supporting our Electro-Physiology division. The Category Manager is an experienced, high caliber employee working with minimal direction. This position will be responsible for the strategic management of procurement category, supporting categories for resins (injection molding and extrusions).
What You’ll Work On
- Proactively identifies areas of opportunity for new business opportunities, process improvement, and cost efficiencies.
- Considered an SME across wide categories of direct procurement(electronics/mechanical) and contract manufacturing.
- Develops and implements global commodity/sourcing strategies to support objectives (cost, quality, service, risk mitigation, favorable terms) in the area of direct material commodities, providing the division with a competitive advantage
- Locates, analyzes and develops a consolidated supplier base that meets current and future commodity needs as communicated by the division
- Understands, tracks, and forecasts the key cost drivers and market factors for assigned commodities
- Compiles market condition information regarding commodities and suppliers and suggests/implements business strategy changes
- Develops cost reduction projects and works with the business units to implement
- Directs the negotiation and management of contracts/agreements for assigned commodities with medium-to-high risk and medium-to-high complexity
- Provides guidance and overall direction to the purchasing/commodity team regarding contract management, agreements, policy development, art of negotiation and other supply chain activities in the spirit of providing mentoring and coaching to develop the team’s knowledge, skills and abilities
- Develops risk management strategies and recommends short and long terms strategies with defined risk/benefit strategies
- Develops alternate sources as necessary to ensure a steady flow of materials and cost competitiveness
- Maintains and promotes sound relationships with extensive network of suppliers, the external business community, and internal customers
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with product line R&D, Operations and Supply Chain teams
- Partner with corporate procurement lead and support procurement strategy for EP (Electro-Physiology) and align with overall corporate strategy.
- Bachelor's degree in Business degree, Engineering, or related field
- Minimum Experience/Training Required: 5-8 years of Procurement and /or deep Category experience.
- Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM); Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) or similar certification desirable.
- Strong use of spreadsheet programs. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to travel approximately up to 20%, including internationally
- MBA preferred.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: [Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.