Senior Systems Engineer
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Staff Systems Automated Test Engineer
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Plano, TX location in the Neuromodulation. Our Neuromodulation business includes implantable devices compatible with mobile technology to help people who suffer from chronic pain and movement disorders. These non-opioid therapies allow us to provide interventional pain therapy to patients throughout the pain continuum, and restore the lives of those living with debilitating motion disorders
As the Sr. Systems Engineer in New Product Development, you’ll have the chance to deliver front-end systems engineering solutions based on a portfolio-centric approach and novel innovation programs related to implantable devices and accompanying peripheral devices and software applications. Working at our site in Plano, this role ensures logical and systematic conversion of user needs and performance requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. We leverage user-centered design and systems engineering methodologies to drive front-end product development and then oversee execution, with a strong focus on product definition, systems architecture, and user experience (UX). You will be driving development with systems engineering best practices as well as directly applying an expert understanding of applications, customer needs to be addressed, and architecting solutions to streamline product development.
What You’ll Work On
- New Product Development through concept phase and execution phase development of electromechanical-software systems
- Understand the priorities of the business (VoB & VoS) and help drive Systems R&D efforts on large projects with multiple team members.
- Work in partnership with with Marketing/ Clinical / R&D resources to conduct research, explore clinical needs and execute customer facing activities like voice of customer (VoC) and customer centric design across the business.
- Collaborate with Technical Architects to explore the feasibility of new technologies and architectures.
- Work with other R&D resources to generate compelling product design concepts that might consist of electro-mechanical systems, mechanical only systems, and systems with embedded software and software apps.
- Serve as the R&D “Voice of User”, leveraging user-centered design, human factors engineering and ensuring that the intent of the design concept is maintained from development through execution.
- Partner with the lead systems engineer and technical architects to document key development decisions and drive consensus when difficult trade-offs need to be made.
- Proactively prevent or solve design problems at a system and product level
- Participate in cross-functional teams to solve challenging technical and/ or usability problems.
- Foster conversation and collaboration across the cross-functional development team during execution.
- Communicate and build relationships based on trust and to influence peers with command and courage.
- Translate / decompose user needs into product-level and platform-level requirements functional requirements using requirements management best practices.
- Generate Systems Engineering tangibles like systems diagrams, user workflows, system modeling, input-out diagrams, Affinity diagrams, trace matricies and other tools to identify and confirm comprehensive and complete requirements.
- Support Risk Management team in identification of potential failures, mitigations, safety requirements, and design for safety.
Pay and Shift [manufacturing only; if applicable]
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $13,000 based on relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant Engineering discipline
- 6+ years of work experience in a similar R&D position
- Masters degree in Engineering (Systems, Electrical or Biomedical)
- 6+ years in a similar position with direct responsibility for user needs and requirements input gathering, system development, system or clinical testing and end-to-end (ideation to commercialization) technical product development experience.
- Experience as a design and development lead taking 1 or more electro-mechanical products through the complete product development lifecycle.
- INCOSE Certification (CSEP credentials) and experience with MBSE & SysML
- Demonstrated ability to effectively integrate information from varied disciplines
- Medical device experience with full understanding of the development lifecycle from concept to product release.
- Experience operating in a Regulated Environment and an expert in standards and regulations that affect the business such as Design Control, ISO 13485 and ISO 14971.
[Register to View] , on Facebook at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] and on Twitter @AbbottNews and [Register to View]