Manager, Quality Control
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Manager, Quality Control
San Diego, CA
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and your family, be your true self, and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with a high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program, and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as the best place to work for diverse, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our [insert location] location in the Cardiometabolic and Informatics. Our rapid diagnostics solutions are helping address some of the world’s greatest healthcare challenges.
As the Manager, Quality Control, you’ll have the chance to manage the Quality Control department and all Quality Control-related activities. The Quality Control will have the following areas of responsibilities: function testing of critical raw materials, in-process testing, final product testing, on-market product stability management, and customer complaint investigations.
What You’ll Work On
- Management of personnel in the Quality Control department.
- Provide direction/leadership on the Quality Control department to enhance the achievement of the business strategy.
- Effectively lead the organization to achieve site Quality Control goals by getting results through others and from self.
- Achieves planned results by decisions and actions based on professional methods, business principles, and practical experience.
- Manage the on-market stability program which includes stability inventory management, scheduling, testing, and reporting.
- Manage the functional testing of incoming inspection of critical raw materials, in-process testing, and final product testing.
- Manage customer complaint investigations.
- Develop and Manage metrics for the Quality Control department.
- Complete non-conformance reports and CAPAS related to Quality Control.
- Participate in the Quality control strategic planning process ensuring business plans are achievable, measurable, agreed on time, and communicated clearly.
- Hands-on Manager who will be responsible for designing experiments as well as execution of protocols in the laboratory environment.
- Determine the requirements, deliverables, and activities associated with the department, assign internal and/or external resources to complete the necessary activities, and work with Finance and Management to calculate department budgets and cost savings.
- Manages performance of staff towards department and Company goals, including feedback on performance, appraisals, recommendations for merit increases or necessary disciplinary actions, communication to employees on performance, etc.
- Understands and is aware of the quality consequences which may occur from the improper performance of their specific job; has awareness of device defects that may occur in their area of responsibility, including product design, verification, and validation, manufacturing and testing activities
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal/external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices; build productive internal/external working relationships
- Carries out duties in compliance with established business policies
- Other duties as assigned, according to the changing needs of the business
Pay and Shift
The salary range for this position is 130,000 – 150,000 based on experience.
Shift: 1st shift, evenings and weekends as needed.
- BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, similar field, or a mix of education and related experience
- 7 – 10 years of work experience in Quality Control or a similar field
- 3 – 5 years of Supervisor/management experience in large teams
- Implemented process improvement plans/programs
- Experience in Statistical Analysis and an understanding of Sampling Plan determination.
- Use Statistical Analysis tools such as JMP, Minitab, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated skill in developing staff
- Lean 6 Sigma experience (Green belt or Black Belt)
- Experience with non-conformance investigations and CAPAs
- Innovative problem solver who has demonstrated the ability to solve difficult problems and implement changes in business and operational-related applications.
- In-depth knowledge of the functional area, business strategies, and the company’s goals is required
- Must have excellent attention to detail especially as it relates to understanding and documenting complex quality issues
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to summarize complex issues in a clear, succinct, and accurate manner
- Must demonstrate problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with good analytical/critical thinking
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [Register to View] , on Facebook at [Register to View] and on Twitter @AbbottNews and [Register to View] The salary for this role is between $104,300 – $208,500