Lead Data Scientist - Machine Learning Engineer
About Our Team
Combining CVS Health and Aetna was a ground-breaking moment for our company and our industry, establishing CVS Health as the nation’s premier health innovation company. Through our health services, insurance plans and community pharmacists, we’re pioneering a bold new approach to total health.
Within the data science department (“Analytics & Behavior Change”), you’ll have the opportunity to drive the next level of pharmacy care delivery right at the intersection of CVS Health and Aetna as part of the Pharmacy Innovation and Strategic Assets team. We are looking for data scientists with strong application development background to build scalable solutions that drive member engagement and behavior change across CVS Health and Aetna populations.
Pharmacy Innovation and Strategic Assets has one of the most diverse missions within the Analytics & Behavior Change department’s Consumer Analytics organization. Like most of our other teams, our data scientists develop innovative member outreach campaigns, meant to improve our members’ health, and in our case delivered by our retail pharmacists. In parallel, our engineers and developers build a platform around scalable core capabilities that enable highly targeted and effective member outreaches for our pharmacists across campaigns.
About the Job
This is a senior individual contributor role in our platform team tasked with developing scalable, data driven capabilities. Examples include system loss monitoring, tracking and prediction of clinical outcomes (e.g., member’s action towards closing existing care gaps), and personalization libraries (e.g., localized site of care recommendations based on an individual’s health profile).
Key responsibilities are focused around the technical development of the platform and the pro-active identification of new opportunities to improve the platform:
• Use strong knowledge in algorithms and predictive models to investigate performance issues, detect behavioral patterns, and recommend and implement platform improvements
• Collaborate with large teams on code development, including developer friendly Python packages to make data science-oriented functionalities accessible to the organization
• Develop and participate in presentations and consultations to existing and prospective constituents on new features and analytics results
• Collaborate with technical and business stakeholders to identify new opportunities to improve the platform’s impact.
The typical pay range for this role is:
Please keep in mind that this range represents the pay range for all positions in the job grade within which this position falls. The actual salary offer will take into account a wide range of factors, including location.
• Colleagues in similar roles typically have at least a BS or MS degree in Computer Science, another engineering discipline, or another computer-oriented field (physics, applied math, chemistry, etc.)
• Experienced in Python and SQL
• Strong collaborator
• 2+ years of relevant industry experience
• Colleagues in similar roles often have an MS or PhD in Computer Science, other engineering discipline, another engineering discipline, or another compute-oriented field (physics, applied math, chemistry, etc.)
• Demonstratable strong python software development background
• Experience in building personalized recommendation engines/algorithms
• Hands-on experience building APIs and writing application/software
• Conceptual or academic experience with streaming data
• Hands-on experience with cloud platforms and deploying models
• Experience collaborating in an agile team
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Economics, Physics, Engineering, or related discipline.
Master’s degree or PhD preferred
Bring your heart to CVS Health Every one of us at CVS Health shares a single, clear purpose: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. This purpose guides our commitment to deliver enhanced human-centric health care for a rapidly changing world. Anchored in our brand — with heart at its center — our purpose sends a personal message that how we deliver our services is just as important as what we deliver. Our Heart At Work Behaviors™ support this purpose. We want everyone who works at CVS Health to feel empowered by the role they play in transforming our culture and accelerating our ability to innovate and deliver solutions to make health care more personal, convenient and affordable. We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an affirmative action employer, and is an equal opportunity employer, as are the physician-owned businesses for which CVS Health provides management services. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.