Principal Data Platform Engineer, Data Science
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, USA - North Carolina - Durham
Posted Date: Feb 2 2023
GSK is one of the world’s foremost pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and we are proud to be leading a healthcare revolution.
By disrupting our approaches to R&D and commercial business processes, Data and Analytics are allowing us to integrate, simplify and unlock all our data to drive innovation, decision making and enable our transformation in servicing our patients, healthcare professionals and consumers.
As a Principal Data Engineer, you will create platform products, microservices, design frameworks, and build reusable data platform solutions for GSK’s Enterprise Data & Analytics Platform. You will enable data science capabilities that will be used for generating insights into actionable plans, multi-dimensional / multi-modal analyses and developing AI/ML models . You will be introducing new technology and building the GxP-ready platform aimed at delivering value to business stakeholders.
While a hands-on development role which includes developing & delivering code from origin to production, you will also lead a team of data engineers and 3rd party service providers.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- This role requires leadership with some hands-on design, modeling, development, and delivery of platform solutions.
- Strong working knowledge of Cloud (Azure, GCP) services and components, and the ability to stitch together various components towards a scalable, reliable, and sustainable enterprise solution.
- Production experience developing data science solutions.
- Key knowledge of architectural patterns across code and infrastructure development.
- Contribute towards the design and development of the enterprise standards.
- Ensure project goals are achieved with quality and on time in alignment with the stakeholders’ expectations.
- Ability to work on complex projects and in a distributed environment.
- Escalate when necessary and promptly
- Pragmatic about tradeoffs between features, quality and timeliness for both tactical and strategic solutions.
- Work in close collaboration with other team members in the Enterprise Data & Analytics Platform team to ensure Development/Delivery aspects are well represented in the project’s requirements and deliverables.
- Incorporate agile ways of working into the delivery process utilizing DABL (Discovery, Alpha, Beta, Launch)
- Lead with modern data design and test-driven development.
- Individuals will work as part of a product-centric delivery team(s) that will deliver value independently while fully embracing integrated DevOps approaches.
- Take ownership of the delivery/development projects and help steer until completion.
- Remain flexible towards technology approaches to ensure we are taking advantage of new technologies.
- Keep abreast of industry developments in analytics and interpret how these would impact services and present new opportunities.
- Be conversant with technical architecture to contribute to design discussions in partnership with the Delivery/Development Lead and dedicated Analytics & Data Architect.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Data Science
- 10+ years in Data Platform experience- specific to owning and enabling capabilities within an enterprise data ecosystem, including Data Management practices (Analytics/Platform)
- 5+ years experience of delivering solutions that include AI/ML model deployment and DevOps practices.
- 5+ years engineering experience and seasoned coder in the relevant languages: Python (incl. PyTorch), TensorFlow, Matlab, Julia, R, Shiny, Scala, etc.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Data Science
- Familiar deploying enterprise solutions at scale with applicable services: administration, qualification, and user access provisioning.
- Knowledge and experience designing, developing and implementing data science, modeling & simulation, high performance computing and / or advanced analytics solutions within life sciences.
- Fully conversant with big-data processing approaches and “schema-on-read” methodologies. Preference for a deep understanding of Spark, Databricks, and Delta Lake and applying them to solve data science and machine learning business problems.
- Experience with Agile delivery frameworks and tools: SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework Enterprise), Jira, Confluence, Azure DevOps, etc.
- Experience articulating the business value of analytics projects and progressing solutions from MVP to scaled-up production solutions.
- Ability to work in close partnership with groups across the IT organization (security, compliance, infrastructure, etc.) and business stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with suppliers and specialist technology providers to assemble and maintain a distinctive and flexible mix of capabilities against future requirements.
- The ideal candidate possesses excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate inherently complicated technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders of all levels.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the biggest changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years. We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.