Director, Public Affairs
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Director of Public Affairs supports our ongoing efforts to develop and execute strategies that advocate for Emergent’s broad public agenda and shape a more favorable
environment for our business. S/he will report to the Senior Director, Public Affairs and work closely with the Global Government Affairs team.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Create and implement comprehensive public affairs strategies and utilize sophisticated advocacy capability on complex subjects in support of the company’s business priorities
• Build relationships and alliances with influencers and organizations—both non-partisan and across the political spectrum—that can help advance the company’s mission
• Ensure a proactive issues management mindset at the enterprise level and across the business
• Maintain strong awareness of relevant public policy debates and media trends, and align public affairs programs accordingly
• Draft compelling narrative to communicate about and advocate for company priorities to key stakeholders
• Effectively coordinate activities with internal Government Affairs and Media Relations teams and external public affairs consultants
• Develop and manage program budgets necessary to support policy and advocacy objectives
• Other duties as needed
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor's degree in a related field (policy, government, sciences); Master's degree in public policy, public health, political science desirable
• Minimum 10 years related experience in the pharmaceutical industry, or another health care sector
• Minimum 5 years of public affairs, government affairs or policy development
• Demonstrated ability for advocacy, coalition building, and/or grassroots mobilization
• Excellent skills, knowledge, understanding and extensive background in public affairs, government affairs and policy
• Exceptional strategic thinking skills
• Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly form lasting and trusted relationships
• Strong communication skills and professional presence to support effective engagement with trade associations, NGOs and advocacy organizations
• Team player who can collaborate, support and implement both internal and external strategic initiatives to advance corporate objectives
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our [Register to View]
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.