QC Scientist II
The QC Scientist functions as a technical expert who interacts with our clients, learns about their projects, determines needs for successful support and translates those needs into an operational environment in the QC Laboratory Operations Group. This role requires a strong working knowledge of cGMP requirements and understanding of regulatory guidelines (e.g., ICH) as well as CMC experience. The QC Scientist routinely manages a number of assays pertaining to common techniques as a technical expert. Typically, the QC Scientist will be responsible for single projects (for one or several related techniques), may be part of a larger cross-functional team leading small to medium multi-technique projects (as a molecule lead), or be part of a larger cross-functional project working in conjunction with a more experienced QC Scientist or Lead Scientist.
Project requirements may include, but are not limited to, assay development and transfer, validation, sample analysis, batch release testing, and stability studies. They will write testing protocols as well as Validation Protocols and reports, prepare and review analytical procedures, and be accountable for the approval and integrity of data and associated quality documentation.
The QC Scientist has knowledge within a relevant field and is able to troubleshoot techniques in the area of their expertise. The management and approval of assay data by the QC Scientist forms a large area of responsibility for GMP projects and therefore requires the ability to adapt to changing regulatory requirements, depending on project types.
In this role, the QC Scientist will provide internal customers with a central scientific point of contact for techniques within their area of expertise, or for external Clients where the QC Scientist is not the molecule lead. The individual is accountable for effective communication either directly with the Client or via the molecule lead to ensure that Client requirements and project deliverables are met. This includes discussion with the Project Management Office (PMO), molecule lead if applicable, and communication with QC Section Managers, as well as other scientific and analytical staff. The QC Scientist has scientific oversight of relevant techniques in order to ensure the successful initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and completion of projects.
The QC Scientist ensures that projects are carried out to the required procedures and standards, and that work is conducted in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements. In instances where deviations occur, the QC Scientist will lead analytical investigations to determine scope and impact, author or approve the associated Quality Event records and work closely with QA Representatives to ensure timely closure of these records.
The QC Scientist will be responsible for overseeing the work of other QC Scientists where appropriate. They will be expected to train, coach and mentor members of the team and across functions as required.
The individual will work with more experienced QC Scientists or molecule leads to identify and communicate scientific and regulatory developments within their field of expertise, to include QA, management, Lead Scientists, QC Scientists and Laboratory Analysts. The QC Scientist may represent Labcorp internally or externally by preparing and/or giving presentations, writing or supporting the preparation of scientific papers and/or posters, in order to communicate the work of Labcorp QC laboratory operations.
The QC Scientist will be required to perform lab work as required and provide support with regards to general laboratory operations and processes, leading by example to members of the QC operations team.
Essential Job Duties:
- In support of project initiation and proposals, participate in conference calls and Client visits as required.
- Perform and review gap analysis for Client methods being transferred in your area of expertise.
- Knowledge of the client requirements and plan accordingly to meet Client deadlines.
- Ensure Health and Safety information and risk assessments are in place and are readily accessible.
- Participate in and/or conduct project meetings.
- Attend client conference calls and meetings for specific technical requirements arising during projects.
- Work across all operational sections and other departments/sub-contractors associated with a specific project to achieve overall milestones.
- Prepare and approve project protocols and amendments. Ensure that the required regulatory, scientific and client requirements are captured.
- Perform content review of standard protocols for all assay types e.g. development, validation, sample analysis, release testing etc.
- Ensure assays are performed in accordance with the protocol, Client requirements and Labcorp Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Complete test schedules for work entering the laboratory (where appropriate).
- Coordinate or facilitate the scheduling or management of lab work, where necessary.
- Where appropriate, write or manage validated Analytical Procedures (AP) and Client Methods and competently review these documents.
- Perform lab work as required.
- Review and approval of non-regulated as well as regulatory GMP data.
- Write (where appropriate) assay based quality documents – Quality Events, Risk Assessments, CAPAs, Change Controls, Out of Specification (OOS).
- Perform tracking/trending and subsequent interpretation of assays and feedback to Operations and Clients as appropriate. When acting as molecule lead on more complex study types, review tracking and trending and feedback any potential issues to Operations and Client as appropriate.
- Identify and communicate adverse events to management and seek and find solutions to problems.
- Ability to problem solve unexpected analytical events within projects/assays, and issues within the wider group.
- Prepare project reports and Certificates of Analysis (CofA), and approve these documents where necessary.
- Accountable to address QA and Client comments on Protocols and Reports where necessary.
- Ability to make decisions on assay results/data.
- Write and approve assay investigation reports.
- Adhere to Quality Agreements and be aware of QC Scientist and Labcorp responsibilities.
Scientific Knowledge and Technical Expertise:
Technical expertise in one or more of the following scientific disciplines is desired:
- Cell Culture and Cell-Based Potency Assays
- Statistics/Biostatistical experience pertaining to biopotency asays and/or In Vivo Relative Potency Assays.
- Flow Cytometry
- Computing skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Office packages and Microsoft Project).
- An in-depth understanding of health and safety policies, Company policies and procedures, and a good understanding of GMP.
- The post holder should be able to communicate effectively at all levels with other Labcorp employees, as well as external clients, suppliers, etc.
- The ability to get things done by influencing others (both internal and external).
- Knowledge of capabilities and expertise of the Labcorp organisation and companies that may provide support services.
- An up to date knowledge of regulatory guidelines.
- Commercial awareness, interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Learn and maintain knowledge of process excellence processes, tools and activities.
- Experience will have been gained in similar types of study management (either internal or external).
- Experience with Client Management.
Labcorp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer:
As an EOE/AA employer, Labcorp strives for diversity and inclusion in the workforce and does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind. We make employment decisions based on the needs of our business and the qualifications of the individual and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy or other medical conditions/needs), family or parental status, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, personal appearance, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic. We encourage all to apply.
For more information about how we collect and store your personal data, please see our [Register to View] .