Site Name: Durham Blackwell Street, Philadelphia Walnut Street
Posted Date: Feb 8 2023
The GSK US Pharma Commercial Organization is transforming the way it interacts with customers and patients, toward providing a consistent, personalized customer experience across marketing, sales, and support channels. This role is responsible for the taxonomy classifying and connecting the content we serve our audiences across touchpoints and is critical to the consistent delivery of highly relevant omnichannel experiences.
The Principal Taxonomist will have responsibility for implementing and maintaining a content taxonomy supporting a number of complex therapeutic areas/products, including integration with the broader enterprise taxonomy landscape. The Principal Taxonomist is also responsible for an overarching strategy and standards for the content taxonomy and associated metadata. This role requires close collaboration across various functions, including marketing, tech, operations, and compliance.
- Assume responsibility for the implementation of a newly defined taxonomy for content and coach the business on taxonomy and metadata use-cases to encourage adoption
- Maintain and grow/iterate the content taxonomy to support use cases including content analytics, content re-use, modular content enablement, and content personalization and optimization
- Define and gain cross-functional alignment on an overarching strategy and standards for the content taxonomy and associated metadata
- Establish governance to guide the use and maintenance of the taxonomy to ensure it evolves in a cohesive way to meet the needs of the business
- Represent the function in interdepartmental projects and communicate, disseminate, and evangelize taxonomy principles and standards to audiences across the organization
- Build and maintain taxonomy-related documentation and training and provide tagging guidance
- Perform schema crosswalks between multiple data structures to find gaps and/or discrepancies across terms/domains. Create mappings for data flow and application linking
- Strategize with business partners on roadmaps for the maintenance/iteration of taxonomies in the larger enterprise taxonomy ecosystem
- Bachelor's degree in a pertinent discipline (e.g., information management, library science, information architecture, informatics, linguistics) or equivalent professional experience and demonstrated advanced knowledge of taxonomy and data modeling concepts
- Five or more years of experience building controlled vocabularies, in taxonomy development, and/or metadata design, including change management and data governance
- Three or more years of experience working with relational databases such as DAMs, CMSs, MAMs and/or taxonomy management systems
- Two or more years of experience working in a large organization with responsibility for influencing a diverse group of taxonomy users and stakeholders
- An understanding of content production workflows and drivers
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to clearly communicate goals, status, and issues upwards and across the organization
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and perform at high standards with limited supervision
- Specific experience developing metadata standards, hierarchies and controlled vocabularies for content production and/or omnichannel marketing and analytics use cases
- Familiarity with pharma or life sciences domain
- Interest in and competency with graph data/ontologies, machine learning and artificial intelligence, and human/computer interaction
- Working knowledge of information systems and taxonomy management tools, e.g., Smartlogic Semaphore, PoolParty, Protégé
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years. Our R&D focus is to deliver a new generation of vaccines and medicines using the science of the immune system, human genetics and advanced technologies to get ahead of infectious diseases, HIV, cancer and other immune-mediated and respiratory diseases. We do all this with a commitment to operate responsibly for all our stakeholders by prioritizing Innovation, Performance and Trust.
Our bold ambitions for patients are reflected in new commitments to growth and a significant step-change in delivery over the next five years. This means more GSK vaccines and medicines, including innovative new products, will reach more people who need them than ever before.
We have long believed that building trust is key to stronger performance, helping to create value for shareholders, impact for patients and society and a reason outstanding people choose to work for and with us. That’s why being a responsible business is an integral part of our strategy. Taking action on environmental, social and governance issues is a key driver in our strategy.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.