Sustainability Manager, Nature
Site Name: Durham Blackwell Street, UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: Feb 7 2023
As a Sustainability Manager you will be accountable for delivering key sustainability projects across the procurement organization. With a focus on Nature, this role will lead and support projects to embed sustainability into our procurement processes, implement our sustainable sourcing program and support cross-functional collaborations within GSK and our supplier base.
GSK has set ambitious sustainability goals linked to our purpose of getting ahead of disease together. The goals are:
• To have Net Zero Impact on Climate by 2030
• To be a Net Nature Positive company by 2030
Over half of GSK’s climate and nature impacts sit with our supply chain, placing procurement at the heart of the solution. The Procurement Sustainability team define the company strategy for supply chain decarbonization and nature stewardship and lead the procurement function to execute the strategy.
This role will provide you the opportunity to work within the exciting and growing field of sustainable procurement. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following activities focused on supporting the implementation of GSK’s Nature Strategy:
- Identifying and implementing tools necessary to embed nature-focused sustainability within internal procurement processes including sourcing, contracting and supplier management.
- Providing subject matter expertise on Nature for our internal teams and stakeholders including Category Directors and partners in the Business Units and Central Sustainability Team.
- Working with suppliers to support implementation of GSK’s Sustainable Sourcing Standards
- Managing supplier partnership teams to support achievement of measurable improvements across land, freshwater, oceans and biodiversity at supplier locations globally.
- Developing and implementing data management strategies to measure, track and report GSK’s progress against internal sustainability targets and Science Based Targets for Nature (SBTN).
- Representing Procurement on GSK sustainability forums and teams, ensuring best practice is shared widely through the organization.
- Manage project scope, schedule, and budget; effectively communicate issues and solutions with teams and clients through effective written and verbal communication
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s degree (BS, BA) in Sustainability, Earth Science, Environmental Sustainability, Business, Economics.
- 2+ years of direct professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, NGO or corporate role with demonstrated project management responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience leading nature-related projects, target setting, and scenario analyses along with general sustainability and environmental consulting services
- Deep understanding of climate and sustainability related protocols and regulatory frameworks, metrics and measurement tools
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus
- Familiarity with ESG ratings (e.g., MSCI, Sustainalytics, ISS, S&P) and Nature Frameworks (e.g., Science Based Targets Network, Taskforce for Nature Related Financial Disclosures)
- Familiarity or experience in any of the following fields is preferred: circular economy, sustainable finance, water resource management, land use management, sustainable oceans, ESG due diligence, LCA and / or ESG governance.
- Sound understanding of global nature risks across various pressure categories
- Proficiency with Data Analytics, data visualization, technical communications and data driven decision support
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, including leading teams and managing projects through status reporting and issue management
- Experience applying standards, procedures, and processes to implement management system and/or regulatory requirements
- Ability to think laterally and adapt previous experience and solutions to new projects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic team and environment
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external stakeholders, including C-Suite executives and industry leaders
- Experience working independently on multiple assignments or engagements, even in a virtual environment
Uniting science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.