Senior Medical Director, Treatment Portfolio
Site Name: Durham Blackwell Street
Posted Date: Feb 4 2023
*IF YOU JOIN VIIV HEALTHCARE, YOU ARE ALSO A GSK EMPLOYEE RECEIVING 100% OF THEIR ROBUST TOTAL REWARDS & BENEFITS!
*THIS IS A HQ BASED ROLE IN DURHAM, NC. WE WILL PROVIDE A VERY ATTRACTIVE RELOCATION PACKAGE!
ViiV Healthcare is an independent, global specialist HIV company dedicated to delivering innovative new options for the care and treatment of people living with HIV/AIDS. HIV presents a serious global challenge. At ViiV Healthcare we are using our commitment, expertise and passion to help meet this challenge by dedicating ourselves to delivering advances in treatment and care for people living with HIV.
ViiV Healthcare was created in 2009 with an ambition of launching a “best in class” integrase inhibitor, maximizing value of existing HIV products and allowing acute company focus on developing initiatives, compounds and access that would advance the care and treatment of HIV. Since that time, the successful launches of 4 Dolutegravir-based products have increased internal and external stakeholder demand for Medical Affairs support to ensure appropriate use of and access to our products as well as to serve as an educational resource.
In addition, there is consistent progression of research on ViiV Healthcare compounds to address data gaps that exist for Dolutegravir and our newer compounds, which includes advancing cabotegravir clinical development for both HIV treatment and prevention. The NA Medical Affairs team continues to play a significant role in ensuring capable sites are identified and selected, researchers are properly educated and informed, and studies progress in timely manner.
Additionally, HIV therapy is now being actively managed by many players and this has elevated the need to provide HIV clinical and research information to formulary decision makers and payers groups, increasing demand for Medical Affairs partnership.
There is a critical need now to enhance the medical and scientific leadership capability to effectively and credibly exchange high quality medical and scientific information about ViiV products and the disease area with our customers. Without this, we will not be able to deliver on our promises to patients or to our shareholders and become industry-leading.
The Senior Medical Director, Treatment Portfolio will have overall responsibility for developing and executing the overall US medical strategy and tactics for the ViiV treatment portfolio. Specifically, this role is responsible for medical strategic planning in the U.S. and assuring appropriate development of medical education resources, communication plans, training, and research in close collaboration with both external and internal stakeholders. You will be a member of the Medical Affairs Leadership Team and will partner closely with other medical affairs department heads and cross functional leaders to develop our Franchise strategy. This position has 5 direct reports, and reports to the Head of North America Medical Affairs
This role will provide YOU with the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
- Lead Medical Affairs activities and initiatives pertaining to HIV treatment
- As Therapeutic Area expert, share Medical Affairs insights and perspectives as a core member of Development Teams and/or cross-functional working groups
- Collaborate with Clinical Research, Global Commercial Product Strategy, Global Value and Access, Medical Information, Marketing, Medical Affairs Research and other cross-functional teams across varied initiatives including publication planning, evidence generation, scientific resources, strategic plans, conference deliverables, and promotional materials
- Lead a team of talented professionals within the NAMA function
- Collaborate to develop the Across portfolio brand Plan of Action and ensure alignment of team activities
- Provide medical and scientific input on Investigator-Sponsored Research, Collaborative Research, promotional materials, and health economics and outcomes/value and access initiatives
- Manage projects to completion, anticipating obstacles and difficulties that may arise, resolving them in collaborative manner
- Attend major global scientific conferences and lead strategic planning and execution of key conference deliverables/activities
- Plan and execute HIV Medical Affairs Advisory Programs and support Global Medical Affairs engagement strategy
- Responsible for the development and execution of projects that will provide more extensive background, additional data/answers to questions in response to issues relative to commercial, scientific, or data needs
- Serve as Medical Affairs Lead on select scientific issues/topics using expertise to develop global scientific messages, inform strategy, create/update slide decks, and review Medical Information response documents
- Provide training within the HIV therapeutic area on relevant topics for Medical Affairs and Commercial personnel
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- First Line Leader with 5 plus years of experience in the biotech OR pharmaceutical industry, including product planning and lifecycle management
- Experience with Infectious Disease OR HIV
- MD or PharmD or PhD
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong preference for HIV experience
- Experience working with external and internal stakeholders on the development and execution of Medical Affairs strategies
- Experience working with Commercial, Clinical Research, Legal, Regulatory and Global Medical Affairs
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Experience and knowledge in product growth
- Experience in synthesizing findings and articulating implications from multiple sources of information, and formulating actionable recommendations
- Opportunistic thinker with strong judgement and analytical mindset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully with varied audiences, cross-functional partners and executives
- Organized; attention to detail and ability to meet timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize workload
- Must be able to work with a level of autonomy and independence
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
At ViiV Healthcare, we will not rest until we leave no person living with HIV behind. Until the 38 million people living with HIV is down to zero, we will continue searching for new ways to limit the impact of HIV.
We are the only pharmaceutical company solely focused on combating, preventing, and ultimately eradicating HIV and AIDS. At ViiV Healthcare, we do things differently. Born out of a partnership between [Register to View] and [Register to View] in 2009, with [Register to View] joining in 2012, we are determined to help end the HIV epidemic. We are guided by our mission to leave no person living with HIV behind and it is this mission that unites our employees located across the globe. We combine expertise in research, manufacturing, policy and more to push the boundaries of what people think is possible in HIV treatment and care. As a result of our connection with GSK, we are able to draw on their proud history and resources. This means that you would receive all the employee benefits offered by GSK.
Living our mission of leaving no person living with HIV behind means keeping inclusion and diversity at the heart of everything we do - from our breakthrough innovation, to our diverse portfolio of medicines as well as the work we do to partner with HIV communities. Having a diverse team and a truly inclusive culture where we’re all able to be ourselves and feel like we belong will make us an even stronger team, better able to perform as a business and deliver on our mission to leave no person living with HIV behind.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at ViiV, please contact the ViiV Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
ViiV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At ViiV, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
ViiV has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
ViiV does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact ViiV's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to ViiV. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and ViiV. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of ViiV. ViiV shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, ViiV may be required to capture and report expenses ViiV incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure ViiV's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit ViiV's Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.