Research Scientific Engagement Lead
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence, UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage
Posted Date: Mar 6 2023
Are you interested in making a Research-wide impact? In the role of Research Scientific Engagement Lead, you will connect the ambition of our organization to our people.
We are recruiting an internal engagement lead to support the connection of our strategy to clear impact through effective communication and engagement across the Research organization in support of the Research Leadership Team (RLT). The individual will provide engagement support for the SVP, work closely with the VP of Research Business Performance and Externalization (RBPX) and RLT to drive clear and consistent messages outlining our scientific, portfolio, and performance ambitions to the Research organisation and other GSK stakeholders by utilising the best tactics and channels available to them, and communicating in a way that bridges between the leaders’ personal styles and what best serves the audiences.
The person in this role will be a key member of the Research Chief of Staff office which will enable Research Strategy, Engagement, staff motivation and air traffic control.
The Research organisation has the obligation and the privilege to discover innovative medicines, rapidly and efficiently. Our aim is to be ambitious for patients, accelerating delivery of our pipeline assets for those in need. To foster awareness internal to GSK, this role will be positioned to make sure we have a clear and resounding message on Research portfolio progression
What we are looking for
The individual will be comfortable working with senior stakeholders and able to foster a trusted relationship with the SVP of Research, his direct reports and the wider RLT, bringing creative ideas to the table but also appropriately providing challenging ideas and options to better leadership engagement. In addition, there is a broad network of communicators in different programmes/projects (e.g. Research Productivity, Atlas) and functions within Research (e.g. Site Engagement Leads) as well as at the corporate level with the Communications and Government Affairs (CGA) organisation (e.g. R&D Culture & Engagement, Pipeline & Product), all of whom are integral to successfully delivery of an impactful Research engagement strategy.
Given the large, complex and matrixed organisation, the individual will need to effectively prioritise what they spend their time on, and focus engagement efforts on the most important areas that align to business objectives. Any additional support beyond the core focus would be considered on an as needed basis and with alignment from the SVP of Research, and in discussion/partnership with the VP of Research Business Performance and Externalization.
- Support the Research Leadership Team (RLT) in the design and delivery of the Research Communication & Engagement plan aligned with Research objectives and strategy in a simple compelling story (starting with Why) that resonates and connects to the wider R&D strategy and narrative.
- Build a plan that connects Research to our 2023 Objectives; bringing our strategy to life at every level of the organization.
- Ensure activities are coordinated and messages communicated to all the levels of the organisation appropriately and meaningfully Ensure appropriate and timely cascade of broader GSK communications within Research, amplifying key updates in partnership with
- Site Engagement and Leadership Teams
- R&D Culture & Engagement team to amplify key R&D messages and provide Research input where needed
- Corporate CGA communications teams on cascading New GSK messaging/announcements and amplifying relevant corporate initiatives
- Participate as an extended member of RLT meetings to coordinate Research communication activities aligned to the Research Communication and Engagement plan.
- Deliver impactful messaging and content for communication and engagement events with an initial focus on key RLT engagement sessions, mapping and coordination of scientific forums and development of standard internal scientific communications content.
- Further events / interventions to be defined based on Research Communications and Engagement plan
- For each event, drive the agenda/content of events, speaker coordination, develop briefing documents/talking points for presenters, support speakers in Research with their slide presentations, coordinate logistical set-up working with the Executive Assistant to the SVP for Research
- Leverage existing channels effectively (Intranet, Newsletters, Workplace, e-mails, etc.). Ensure adoption and usage of any new communication channels.
- In particular, maintain the Research intranet site with Business Operation leads
- Coordinate Research communication in partnership with Research CGA lead with or without an external agency to deliver:
- Communication pack on Research (presentations of organisation)
- Creation of brand aligned visuals
- Creation of videos
- Creation of animation/infographics
- Creation of any specific campaigns necessary to deliver against business objectives
- Support the SVP of Research in their internal communications (drafting, coaching, designing) within Research and at priority engagements within GSK, outside of Research
- Build further communication capabilities of RLT
- Develop and strengthen key messages for RLT based on priority topics
- Create training material/guidelines/reference documents to support and set standards for communications in Research for RLT and their teams (e.g. intranet, workplace, video shooting, workplace, visuals creations)
- Partner with science leads to coordinate Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) meetings, GLT/RDLT presentation requests and other science and strategy sharing events which require a consistent, impactful message from Research leadership.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s degree in biomedical sciences (chemistry, biology), Informatics, Computer Science or >5y experience in Pharma R&D with a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field.
- Digital content and media experience
- Scientific writing for a general audience
- Experience of coordinating cross functional teams in a matrix environment
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience developing and driving complex communication plans for Sr. Leaders and their organizations
- Track record of influencing key stakeholders.
- Organizing complex face to face interfaces such as global events
- Grade 5 with gravitas to work with senior leaders, and be a trusted partner and advisor to the SVP of Research
- Home and GSK R&D Site based working arrangement (in accordance with current and future performance with choice)
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.