Expert Scientist, Polysaccharide Chemistry/Protein Bioconjugation
Site Name: Cambridge Binney Street
Posted Date: Mar 6 2023
We’re combining the power of genetic and genomic insights into what causes disease, with the speed and scale of artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to make better predictions about who a treatment might work for, and why. We believe this powerful combination of data and technology holds the key to fundamentally transforming medical discovery for the better, improving R&D success rates and shaping how even the most challenging diseases, like neurological conditions and cancer, can be both prevented and treated.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated scientist with expertise in polysaccharide chemistry, purification, and protein-polysaccharide bioconjugation techniques to join our protein science team. Our protein science team is responsible for generating high quality protein and polysaccharide antigens from different bacterial and viral pathogens and making protein-polysaccharide conjugates to support our vaccine development programs. You will work closely with the members from immunology and molecular biology groups in a collaborative environment providing ample opportunity to learn and grow within the cross functional team.
You will have the opportunity to…
- Develop and optimize purification protocols for different bacterial capsular polysaccharides.
- Develop novel conjugation methods to generate protein-polysaccharide conjugates.
- Characterize purity and homogeneity of the purified protein-polysaccharide conjugates using various analytical and biophysical tools e.g. analytical SEC, SEC-MALS, DLS, DSF etc.
- Independently troubleshoot challenges and come up with novel solutions.
- Author, review, and approve SOPs, study protocols, reports, and other scientific and quality documents.
- Present scientific data to colleagues in group meetings and prepare and present internal and external presentations.
- Present progress updates to senior management
- Ph.D. (carbohydrate chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry, or related discipline) with 1+ years of post-graduate experience, OR MS or BS degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or process science with 5+ years of work experience in bacterial polysaccharide purification, preparing protein-polysaccharide conjugates.
- Extensive hands-on working experiences in carbohydrate chemistry, site specific protein-polysaccharide conjugation, purification and characterization of protein-polysaccharide conjugates are needed.
- Prior experience of working in a pharmaceutical industry and polysaccharide-based vaccine development is preferred.
- Experience in making carbohydrate-based nanoparticle is a plus.
- Strong ability to multi-tasking and willingness to work effectively in a highly collaborative and diverse environment as a team player with a strong work ethic.
- Able to maintain written records in the form of laboratory notebooks.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.