Operational Technology (OT) Equipment DataOps Engineer
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Ware
Posted Date: Mar 3 2023
About Ware Manufacturing Site
GSK’s flagship manufacturing site at Ware (GSC - Global Supply Chain) produces medication in the form of respiratory devices and in oral solid dose form. The site is in the unique position in our network as the only site responsible for launching the company’s pipeline of new medicines in these dose forms, many of which are lifesaving medications. The site has invested heavily in industry 4.0 state of the art, bespoke equipment to support sustained new product introductions and volume increases.
Operational Technology (OT) DataOps sits within the automation engineering team provide technical expertise to support all production operations at Ware in relation to Data Pipelines from OT connected equipment to the MES Level 3 Layer. This role is geared towards:
- Building metadata and automation driven data experience for GSK’s scientists, engineers, and decision-makers, increasing productivity and reducing time spent on “data mechanics”
- Engineering our data at scale, as one unified asset, to unlock the value of our unique collection of data and predictions in real-time
Achieving delivery of the right data to the right people at the right time needs design and implementation of data flows to drive discovery and development. There are key drivers for this approach, which are closely aligned with GSK's priorities of Innovation, Performance, Trust, and Culture:
- Automation of end-to-end data flows: Faster and reliable ingestion of high throughput data from OT Connected Production Equipment to extract value of investments in new technology (instrument to analysis-ready data in <12h)
- Innovative disease-specific and domain-expert specific data products: to enable computational scientists and their research unit collaborators to get faster to key insights leading to faster development cycles.
- Supporting e2e code traceability and data provenance: Increasing assurance of data integrity through automation and integration
- Improving engineering efficiency: Extensible, reusable, scalable, updateable, maintainable, virtualized traceable data and code would be driven by data engineering innovation and better resource utilization.
To meet the needs of the site we are looking for a motivated, qualified person to join the team. This role would predominantly be site-based but supported by flexible working policies. We actively support personal development and progression, external training and further education and professional registration.
You will become a member of the site’s centralised automation team, providing technical expertise to support Data Pipelines for Process Historians, Support and Maintenance of sites Automation OT Integration Layer (OTIL) and OEE monitoring on a huge diversity of manufacturing, automation, and control systems across the Ware Campus.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manages and maintains data pipelines to ensure compliance with defined data structures and integration patterns, equipment classes and equipment master data sets
- Develop, Implement, and maintain solutions for data capture and batch contextualisation using on Site Automation OT Integration layer (OTIL)
- Maintains and promotes the department’s best practices and design principles for equipment data pipeline techniques and architecture and delivering improvement strategies to deliver business benefits.
- Responsible for ensuring the implementation of DataOps aspects of capital projects
- Responsible for providing technical input during solution design, development, testing and implementation
- Responsible for input into improvement strategies to deliver business benefits.
- To act as an DataOps technical authority/SME on related matters where required.
Basic Qualifications / Skills:
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or similar disciplines / backgrounds (By Summer 2023)
Preferred Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge of a number of Data Systems such as Data Historian, OEE, OPC, SQL.
- Knowledge of SQL and views database connectivity
- Knowledge of OPC Connectivity
- Awareness of data structure modelling (i.e. ISA-88)
This role is suited to a self-motivated, driven individual with strong influencing, communication, teamwork and leadership skills.. A successful candidate will have a passion for understanding and mastering a variety of complex systems and must have a keen interest in the development and deployment of emerging technologies into beneficial use.
Please Note: We actively welcome direct entry graduates (as well as more experienced applicants).
Closing date for applications: Monday 20th of March 2023 (COB)
When applying for this role, please use your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role.
GSK has changed. In July 2022, we demerged our world-leading consumer healthcare business, Haleon. We are now a fully focused biopharma company. We prioritise innovation in vaccines and specialty medicines, maximising the increasing opportunities to prevent and treat disease. At the heart of this is our R&D focus on the science of the immune system, human genetics and advanced technologies, and our world-leading capabilities in vaccines and medicines development. For more information on GSK please refer to our website: [Register to View]
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to neurodiversity, race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Should you require any adjustments to our process to assist you in demonstrating your strengths and capabilities contact us on [Register to View] or 0[Register to View] . Please note should your enquiry not relate to adjustments, we will not be able to support you through these channels
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.