VP Medical Affairs, Central & Southern Europe
Site Name: UK - London - Brentford, Baar Onyx
Posted Date: Mar 2 2023
The Vice President and Head of Medical Affairs, Central and Southern Europe will lead the Area Medical Affairs organization within Europe for the newly formed area: Central and Southern Europe: Greece, Poland, Czech Rep., Israel, Austria, Portugal and all Partnership Markets (16 in total). This is a senior leadership role, reporting to the Medical Affairs Head of Europe, with line management responsibility of all the Country Medical Directors in the area and accountable of achieving business and R&D goals aligned with medical value proposition.
This newly created position reflects the ambition and growth opportunity for GSK in Europe, with more launches across European countries in the upcoming years than at any time in our recent history. The European Region is expected to grow significantly with new product launches alongside new indications and growth opportunities for existing brands across Specialty, Oncology, Vaccines and General Medicines. The VP Medical Affairs, Central and Southern Europe will drive achievement of ambitious functional goals through a sharp focus on the Central and Southern European markets.
This role is essential to drive the medical affairs strategy and performance aligned with medical affairs value proposition, addressing the business needs and our growing company ambition, overseeing critical ‘license-to-operate’ functions in the countries, building credible customer engagements with utmost integrity and are central to effective cross-functional collaboration.
• This is the most senior leadership position for Medical Affairs within the area, accountable for providing the vision and leadership to ensure achieving our goals as described in Medical Affairs Value Proposition across all markets in the area.
• The person in role will be an active contributor within the GSK European Medical Affairs Leadership Team as well as the Area Commercial Leadership Team role-modelling the new GSK culture
• The role is accountable for leading and managing the team across the area, ensuring that all the countries have the required level of Medical capabilities and leadership, including business and financial acumen, to carry out the core tasks and critical functions required to support a successful local business.
• Operating as a core strategic leader along with partner functions to commercialise new medicines and vaccines. This will include the development and execution of country specific medical affairs plans to help define the value proposition of our medicines and vaccines, including evidence generation to close Market data gaps, identify unmet medical needs, and the appropriate external communication of our data to external healthcare providers.
• Understand the importance of staying at the forefront of healthcare trends in the region and how trends influence our work.
• Stay ahead of current product issues and address/make recommendations and provide medical expertise on a wide range of topics. It will be important to provide a credible and deeply scientific external voice for GSK and to ensure rapid and thorough responses to product issues, and more importantly, to anticipate and mitigate problems before they occur.
• Instrumental in informing and executing on a preventative and curative strategy(ies) that will help evolve and enhance the Medical Affairs organisation in alignment with overall objectives.
• Lead regional MSL execution in alignment with strategy and ensuring medical insights are connected with R&D plans for the medicine and vaccine. Ensure MSLs become masters of scientific data generation and excel at authentic medical engagement
• Drive pivotal portfolios across GSK medicines and Vaccines representing present and future growth
• Key strategic partner to colleagues in Commercial, Regional Medical, Compliance, VEO, Pharmacovigilance, Medical Governance and Regulatory & Clinical Operations
• Medical Doctor, PharmD or PhD.
• Prior experience as Country or Cluster Medical Director.
• Experience working at above country (regional or global) level.
• Experience across multiple therapy areas.
• Prior experience of building, leading and motivating high-performing teams.
• Business and financial acumen in managing resources effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to assess evidence generation needs; review and input into trial protocols; review ISSs for scientific merit.
• Track record of building strong internal and external networks.
• Demonstrated ability to manage complexity and cultural diversity.
• Experience of developing and promoting talent.
• Strong strategic acuity and political nuance in balancing best practices for the medical organisation and overall corporate objectives.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to neurodiversity, race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Should you require any adjustments to our process to assist you in demonstrating your strengths and capabilities contact us on [Register to View] or 0[Register to View] . Please note should your enquiry not relate to adjustments, we will not be able to support you through these channels
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.