Principal Scientist Operations
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
• Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
• Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
• An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
• Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
• A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
• A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Abbott Park, IL location in the ATM Transfusion Division. Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
As the Principal Scientist Operations, you’ll be responsible for independently conceive, execute, and communicate research or development strategies that achieve project and area goals. Anticipate and critically evaluate scientific or regulatory advances. Lead research efforts on his/her own project and contribute scientific insights into other projects. Consistently demonstrate excellent record of accomplishment of scientific and business objectives.
What You’ll Work On
Design, analyze, and direct efficient experiments to solve problems and improve understanding of biological and operational processes.
Collaborate with scientific, engineering, operations, supply chain, quality and management functions to assess risks, troubleshoot, implement solutions and improvements.
Product and Process Improvement - Independently manage complex long-duration projects and product improvements. Recognizes opportunities and proposes novel ideas for significant operational; process or product improvements. Perform or support test and process method modifications.
Assist with product development and design transfer initiatives as a member of the on-market support team.
Clearly and effectively present complex technical information to broad internal and external audiences. Summarize methods, results, and interpretation in writing. Answer stakeholder questions.
Perform statistical analyses on complex datasets to aid in interpretation of internal and external product performance trends.
Demonstrate fiscal responsibility through actionable recommendations and accomplishments. Translates top-level goals to specific goals and aligns activities with respective strategic business priorities.
Balance multiple project priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
Critically review internal records and reports, including those supporting complaint evaluations, potential non-conformance assessments, root-cause analysis, design change and regulatory submissions to determine if there is adequate support for conclusions.
Contributes to organization learning through sharing subject-matter expertise, coaching/ mentoring junior staff, and maintaining product design history.
• Bachelors Degree in physics, chemistry or other relevant scientific disciplines, OR an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Ph.D. plus 4 years, or MS with 7 years, or BS with 12 years experience in research or product support in industrial setting.
• Doctorate Degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, or biological sciences preferred.
• Experience with developing and executing design verification studies.
• Prior experience in managing complex technical projects and effectively communicating status and findings, both orally and written at a professional level.
• Able to perform proficiently under applicable regulatory requirements: ISO, FDA or any recognized quality standards and requirements.
• Experience of immunoassays or molecular assays would be preferred.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [Register to View] on Facebook at [Register to View] and on Twitter @AbbottNews and [Register to View]