Associate Director Medical Insights Excellence, Global Medical Affairs
Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at [Register to View] style="font-size: 12.0pt;">www.astellas.com.
This position is based in Northbrook, Illinois. Remote work from certain states may be permitted in accordance with Astellas’ Responsible Flexibility Guidelines. Candidates interested in remote work are encouraged to apply.
Purpose and Scope:
The Associate Director Medical Insights Excellence is accountable for leading the strategy, processes, operational models, and technology required to capture, assess, and report medical insights. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring Medical Affairs (MA) is enabled to efficiently and effectively capture, identify, and report on MA insights that will inform future Medical Affairs strategy. This includes responsibility to innovate, pilot and implement digital capabilities to automate insight generation and lifecycle processes based on best-in-class solutions aligned or ahead of industry and leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) and natural language processing (NLP).
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Medical Insights Excellence
- Business Process Owner for overall end-to-end global process for MA insights across all Astellas priority products / TAs
- Develop and maintain global MA insight digital ecosystem.
- Responsible for lifecycle management of insights (submission through approval, ingestion into MA data lake, reporting to end users, and novel generation solutions to align with business processes)
- Oversee and optimize bidirectional flow of information to and from internal systems (e.g., Data Intelligence, Scientific Communications & Content, Field Medical CRM (Customer Relationship Management), Global Medical Information Database [GMID])
- Continuously analyze end user feedback, identify areas for improvement and propose and/or execute on enhancements
- Develop and implement training programs for global MA insights in collaboration with MA Training
- Work proactively and in collaboration with internal cross-functional and external vendor information systems (IS) stakeholders to identify and manage constraints and risks, facilitating resolution
- Utilize advanced understanding and awareness of internal and external environmental changes and opportunities to ensure ongoing innovative enhancements and operational efficiencies
- Chairs/lead MA Insights Working Group consisting of representation from all MA regions and global functions
- Represents MA Insights Excellence to Medical Affairs Teams, and other cross-functional workstreams
- Model excellent teamwork and partnership with cross-functional internal and external colleagues across the organization and globe, and in matrix teams
- Demonstrates mastery of all Astellas and alliance and/or vendor (if applicable) SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) related to MA insight activities
- Responsible for monitoring adherence of MA insight activities to applicable Astellas standards, procedures, and best practices.
- Resolves/mitigates non-adherence to policies and standards
- Provides audit/inspection support as needed
- Owns repository(ies) that enable generation, capturing, assessment, and reporting of MA insights
- Stays current on global and local regulations and industry best practices that impact generation of MA insights
- Business Process Owner for 1-3 systems and tools associated with MA insights per the assignment of Senior Director, Medical Communications Excellence
- Global MA insights are generated at an annual volume of 300+ from multiple internal channels/systems (e.g., Field Medical CRM, GMID, Advisory Boards, IDEA data lake) as well as various external sources (Congresses, social media/social listening [Twitter], etc.)
- The position reports to the Sr. Director Medical Communications Excellence
- Collaborates closely with colleagues across all levels within MA, including MA Regions (e.g., TA (Therapeutic Area) Strategy, Ops Ex, Med Comms), Director Scientific Communications and Content, Digital Excellence, Data Intelligence, Project Management
- Collaborates closely with colleagues across all levels outside of MA including AIA (Advanced Information and Analytics), Commercial Insights, IS (Information Systems), Data Privacy / Ethics & Compliance, Business Information Reporting & Analytics (BIRA)
- Collaborates with Vendors that provide Insights related services/ technology