The Principal Engineer II, reporting to the Head of Digital Engineering, will work with the High Visibility Enterprise Digital and Retail teams to develop and execute Digital pharmacy strategies. As a Principal Engineer II, you will be directly developing and landing ambient digital Pharmacy Initiatives. This lead technical role will compile research and technologies across the organization into one cohesive Technical Roadmap and in addition, will create Proof of Concept’s that will improve our ambient projects that address our customer challenges. Furthermore, the Principal Engineer II will also be heavily involved in API integrations utilizing Rest APIs, Microservices, Kubernetes (K8S)/Dockers and operating in some serverless environments and has an opportunity to provide strategic leadership.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer II who has experience mentoring/, guiding team members, helping drive development decisions, and will assist with architectural design decisions. In this role, you will demonstrate executive level qualities, lead the conversation, have an eye for great design, provide hands-on coding as required, and have a proven track record of pushing projects from conception to customers. As a Principal Engineer II, you will partner with Architecture, Product and Engineering teams to articulate the true total value of each technical solution and the overall business outcome.
Why you want to work for this team:
• Our mission is to provide customers/members seamless, secure access to CVS’s digital services and give them a one stop shop to manage their information and their orders.
• We strive to make colleague experiences better with a welcoming culture. We are passionate about our technologies and always march towards staying ahead of the curve in adopting the best-in-class platforms such as AI/Machine learning/Cloud.
• This team works on cutting edge technology which services millions of customers/members and builds products at scale.
• This team works on applications that make a difference in people’s health outcomes and provide a path to better health.
High Visibility websites you will be working on:
• [Register to View]
Principal Engineer II role will be responsible for:
1. Providing technical vision, driving strategy around solutions, solving complex problems, and successfully executing across the Cloud, Backend Solution, Microservices, API and other applications CVS Digital is building
2. Acting as an executive technical leader across strategic efforts, leveraging partners, technical leads, and technical expertise to better inform processes and outcomes
3. Acting as a technical owner across strategic efforts involving the Cloud, backend solution, streaming, and more.
4. Partnering with technical leaders within CVS Digital, the open-source community, as well as contributing to product strategy, frameworks, roadmap definition, and requirements-gathering
5. Providing domain knowledge/engineering insight to guide early designs, accelerating project decision-making, and maintaining close oversight of technical execution
6. Promoting reusability of APIs across various clients while offering configurations
7. Encouraging and maintaining engineering excellence on the team to build reliable distributed systems that our customers can build their business on
8. Becoming a trusted decision-maker for important projects with high technical or outcome risk
9. Developing mindshare by collaborating and discussing ideas
10. Plotting and executing on the path from prototype to production for features
11. Bringing passion, energy, and excitement to the team and organization
12. Showing an ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deal with multiple priorities
Work Breakdown % for this roll at CVS health:
• 30-40% - Hands on work for POC’s
• 30%-40% - Work with architects, product team on roadmap items
• 20% - Provide expertise to remove any tactical roadblock for the team
• 10% - Help debug production outages and help recover quickly and safely
KPI’S for role:
• Takes Accountability and leads teams
• Able to perform as an expert programmer
• Ability to community with executive
• Ability to innovate and adopt new technologies
The typical pay range for this role is:
This pay range represents the base hourly rate or base annual full-time salary for all positions in the job grade within which this position falls. The actual base salary offer will depend on a variety of factors including experience, education, geography and other relevant factors. This position is eligible for a CVS Health bonus, commission or short-term incentive program in addition to the base pay range listed above. This position also includes an award target in the company’s equity award program.
In addition to your compensation, enjoy the rewards of an organization that puts our heart into caring for our colleagues and our communities. The Company offers a full range of medical, dental, and vision benefits. Eligible employees may enroll in the Company's 401(k) retirement savings plan, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan is also available for eligible employees. The Company provides a fully-paid term life insurance plan to eligible employees, and short-term and long term disability benefits. CVS Health also offers numerous well-being programs, education assistance, free development courses, a CVS store discount, and discount programs with participating partners. As for time off, Company employees enjoy Paid Time Off (PTO) or vacation pay, as well as paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Number of paid holidays, sick time and other time off are provided consistent with relevant state law and Company policies.
For more detailed information on available benefits, please visit
[Register to View]
• 10+ years of hands-on information technology experience in systems analysis, application design, application development, and application program development with leading teams
• 5+ years of experience in building or leading large-scale applications
• 3+ years of hands-on experience with enterprise cloud initiatives and solutions with cloud computing technologies and have a track record developing in GCP/AWS on a public cloud environment
• 3+ years’ experience in managing stakeholder’s requirements, and technical solutions
• 3+ years of designing and developing modern microservices and cost-effective API’s
• 2+ year experience with Kafka or open-source distributions
• 5+ years of experience with Agile software development
• 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following DevOps tools: Kubernetes, Argo, GIT, Jenkins, Maven, JUnit, Docker, JMeter, Antifactory
• 2+ years of experience working on CI/CD Pipeline automationPreferred Qualifications
• Experience working with distributed teams, working across multiple time zones and geographies
• Experience researching of technical environments
• Health and wellness domain experience
• Hands on experience developing user-facing features and/or apps
• Ability to influence and inspire teams to align technical direction
• Ability to create and execute on roadmaps that consider both progress and innovation as well as the need to scale reliably
• Have contributed to open-source technology and or developed any patents
• Ability to learn/work with emerging technologies, methodologies, and solutions in the Cloud/IT technology space
• Ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries, build relationships, and achieve broader organizational goalsEducation
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or equivalent work experience is requiredBusiness Overview
Bring your heart to CVS Health Every one of us at CVS Health shares a single, clear purpose: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. This purpose guides our commitment to deliver enhanced human-centric health care for a rapidly changing world. Anchored in our brand — with heart at its center — our purpose sends a personal message that how we deliver our services is just as important as what we deliver. Our Heart At Work Behaviors™ support this purpose. We want everyone who works at CVS Health to feel empowered by the role they play in transforming our culture and accelerating our ability to innovate and deliver solutions to make health care more personal, convenient and affordable. We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an affirmative action employer, and is an equal opportunity employer, as are the physician-owned businesses for which CVS Health provides management services. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.