Scientist II, Neuroscience
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Research Scientist II
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Plano, Texas location in the Neuromodulation Division. Our Neuromodulation business includes implantable devices compatible with mobile technology to help people who suffer from chronic pain and movement disorders. These non-opioid therapies allow us to provide interventional pain therapy to patients throughout the pain continuum.
It sounds like science fiction: sending small electrical pulses to the spine to block pain signals or to the brain to suppress tremor. As a Material Engineer/Scientist at Abbott Neuromodulation, you will have the opportunity to develop technology platforms that improve the lives of those suffering from chronic pain and movement disorders.
The Research Scientist II Initiates new research and experiments, leads medium sized projects or multiple smaller projects, develops and executes more advanced preclinical scientific research and/or development.
What You’ll Work On
- Uses professional concepts to contribute to the development of company concepts and principles and to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways
- Independent researcher; seeks advice for most complex/challenging work, likely participates in development of patent applications
- Works on marginally complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provides guidance to other lower-level personnel
- Provides sound and original suggestions for new problems
- Plans and conducts work requiring specialized techniques in selecting and evaluating approaches to problems, and ability to apply an analytical approach to the solution of a variety of problems, and to assimilate the details and significance of various scientific analyses, procedures and tests
- May be part of team or capable of submitting ideas for inventions; may publishes or innovates through patent filings and/or scientific publications. Capable of performing FTO's (Freedom to Operate).
- May lead or recommend new procedures
- Can write clinical trial protocol and order materials needed to complete procedures; Documents development work, writing technical reports and cost estimates.
- May supervise medium sized project teams and direct day to day work of less experienced employees. If supervisor involved in interviewing, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work and resolving technical problems
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $100,000 based on relevant education and experience.
- 2+ years of progressively responsible positions in a research development environment. M.S or PhD preferred Strong history of cross-functional collaboration with other engineering disciplines
- Practical Lab Skills with increasing knowledge complexity with experience.
- More advanced Problem –solving skills with experience
- Has good knowledge of science and the ability to apply more complex and advance principles and techniques with experience
- Experience in both materials characterization and regulatory affairs to support product approval filing and marketing.
- Accountability/ Scope: Contributes to project plan. Responsible for project completion. Broader exposure and scope to project across functional area
- 4+ years of relevant product development or R&D experience (preferably with implantable hardware)
- Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Polymer Science/Engineering, or equivalent
- Advanced degree preferred