Senior Staff Scientist, Neuroscience
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Senior Staff Scientist, Neuroscience
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Plano, Texas location in the Neuromodulation Division. Our Neuromodulation business includes implantable devices compatible with mobile technology to help people who suffer from chronic pain and movement disorders. These non-opioid therapies allow us to provide interventional pain therapy to patients throughout the pain continuum.
It sounds like science fiction: sending small electrical pulses to the spine to block pain signals or to the brain to suppress tremor. At Abbott Neuromodulation, you will have the opportunity to develop technology platforms that improve the lives of those suffering from chronic pain and movement disorders.
As discipline expert, the Senior Staff Scientist drives functional performance by designing and implementing studies aimed at new or improved products. A key Abbott discipline contact.
What You’ll Work On
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Sets discipline strategy in alignment with functional goals and key scientific objectives. Achieves functional goals.
- Develops key scientific objectives. Collaborates with experts within function to integrate scientific objectives into activities associated with development of new/improved products or technology. Advances scientific expertise within function. Proactively advises and shares knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers, and senior management. Mentors and trains functional colleagues. Develops network valued by functional leaders. Actively supports open exchange of expert discipline knowledge. Deepens insight to better assess current and emerging business challenges enabling functional goal achievement.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major project plans within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies. Anticipates challenges. Creatively applies knowledge of concepts, principles, and theories. Develops and continually advances scientific direction.
- Sources and identifies emerging scientific trends from multiple internal and external sources. Assesses relevance. Determines use of innovation. Integrates trends into functional short-term objectives. Advances cross-discipline technology and direction. Applies imagination. Generates IP or institutional knowledge. Creates, invents, and implements new or better approaches, alternatives, and breakthrough ideas that are valued by customers within the function. Develops and advances existing and breakthrough technology.
- Presents scientific concepts and results for functional scientific and non-scientific leaders as well as potential and existing partners. Maximizes impact and value of expertise. Maintains external reputation as discipline expert. Influences industry with presentations, serving on panel discussions at industry meetings, attending industry meetings, or authoring articles for peer-reviewed publications.
- Organizes internal scientific seminars. Provides advice and counsel with respect to regulatory strategy. Collaborates with internal regulatory experts to ensure compliance with schedules for NDAs/INDs/sNDAs and INDA submissions. Selects, builds and maintains the most appropriate vendor partnerships. Evaluates vendor reliability and performance ensuring adherence to plans, policies, and procedures to provide required products or services.
- Establishes collaborative relationships. Manages conflicts. Achieves compromise. Ensures the multiple discipline, functional team is making good decisions regarding design, materials, manufacturing, quality, costs, regulatory compliance, intellectual property, and strategic fit within the patent portfolio. Merges many ideas into a cohesive plan to ensure that functional goals and respective project plans maintain momentum and meets timelines.
- Solicits feedbacks to better understand unmet market needs. Integrates inputs into discipline strategy to successfully achieve functional goals. In negotiations, gathers and understands the relevant facts supporting optimal decisions where value or resources are not left on the table, risks can be pro-actively managed, and desired ongoing partnerships and longstanding relationships are the result.
- Ensures work is performed only on strategically valued, practical, and revenue generating products. Develops strong awareness of other disciplines/subsystems’ dependencies and challenges. Appropriately modifies own strategy and performance goals to avoid performance tradeoffs.
Pay and Shift [manufacturing only; if applicable]
The salary range for this position is $128,000 - $154,000 based on relevant education and experience.
- 8+ years of progressively responsible positions in a research development environment. M.S or PhD preferred Strong history of cross-functional collaboration with other engineering disciplines
- Experience in research and/or development environment
- Proven ability to innovate with a history of successful new or improved product releases. Accomplishments at
- Abbott a plus. Ability to advise discipline experts and leaders within the function on how they can manage their particular risks.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within function and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators. Listens and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other discipline experts and leaders within the function in a collaborative, fast paced goal driven environment.Accountability/ Scope: Contributes to project plan. Responsible for project completion. Broader exposure and scope to project across functional area.
- Interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile interdisciplinary differences optimizing overall functional goals. Technical background in healthcare, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, or pharmaceutical companies.
- 10+ years of relevant product development or R&D experience (preferably with implantable hardware)
- Master’s Degree or other Higher Education in Science or Engineering
- Advanced degree preferred