Principal Scientist (Director) in Vaccine Modeling
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A., known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to be the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Responsibilities/ Job Description:
We are seeking a Research Scientist in Infectious Disease Modeling to join our growing team of vaccine modelers and health economists at Merck.
As part of an agile team, the Principal Scientist provides strategic development and use of cutting-edge mathematical and economic models to enhance understanding of the impact of vaccines against infectious diseases at the population level and to concisely communicate the value of Merck vaccines to patients, providers, payers, and policy makers. In addition, the scientist serves as Health Economic and Decision Sciences (HEDS) lead for one or more value evidence sub-teams (VESTs), responsible for incorporating synthesized real-world evidence into the development of health economic models of various types to enable business and scientific insights for the vaccine product.
Reporting under a Director within HEDS, the scientist is expected but not limited to:
- Work with members from cross-functional VESTs to formulate the evidence generation strategy for company’s vaccines either in the market or in the pipeline
- Lead the health economic modelling and perform timely modeling-based analyses of scientific rigor; prepare plain-language technical reports in response to requests from Health Technology agencies as well as National immunization technical advisory groups.
- Disseminate key research findings/methodology via presentations at congresses and publications in scientific journals
- Communicate value assessment of vaccines through presentations at scientific meetings and peer-reviewed journals
- Develop excellent working relationships within partner across MRL; ensure effective cross-functional collaboration across teams
Education Minimum Requirement
- Masters in a quantitatively-oriented discipline such as mathematical epidemiology or applied mathematics, such as Operations Research, Epidemiology, Public Health, and Statistics
- PhD (preferred)
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Experience in the design and development of modeling approaches to enable internal and external decisions
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently and effectively interact with a broad group of stakeholders
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the design and analysis of mathematical models of infectious diseases and vaccination, including developing and analyzing stochastic and deterministic models, programming simulations and numerical analysis, and analyzing data for model parameterization
- Advanced knowledge of economic evaluation and cost-effectiveness analysis.
- Strong record of research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Extensive experience in scientific computing and programming with software such as Mathematica, Matlab, Python, or C++.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with [Register to View] all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply [Register to View]
Current Contingent Workers apply [Register to View]
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please [Register to View] if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1