Process Modeler, Sr. Scientist
Why Patients Need You
Pfizer’s purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients’ lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer’s purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.
What You Will Achieve
We are seeking a Chemical Engineer to join Chemical Research and Development (CRD) Computational Process Design and Optimization group in Groton CT . The successful candidate will play a leading role in the development of CRD digital design strategy in the process systems engineering area to enable the efficient process development of active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) candidates in our portfolio. They will help us establishing the systems engineering as a key factor to enhance speed, quality and flexibility in API development and manufacturing from early candidate selection through to commercial application.
CRD, as part of Worldwide R&D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, is responsible for the development of process technology for the production of API. CRD scientists engage in all facets of development from small scale synthesis in support of medicinal chemistry programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route. CRD scientists partner with manufacturing specialists for API synthesis in kilo-lab and pilot plant facilities, as well as provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third party facilities.
The successful candidate will provide systems, data analysis and modeling expertise for the development API, workflows and processes. They will partner with chemists, analysts, chemical engineers, IT professionals and statisticians from across Pfizer R&D and manufacturing organizations to evaluate and apply process systems approaches across the lifecycle and API development. Key activity of this position is the utilization of first principle and data driven models to digital twin or processes that will enable the digital exploration and optimization of the API development space. They will support the development workflows and methodologies for the efficient application and integration of process systems techniques. The ability to work on multi-disciplinary teams involving chemists, analysts, engineers, and technologists and to represent CRD on cross-functional teams is essential.
How You Will Achieve It
Develop new tools and utilize current process modeling tools against CRDs needs and workflows, identify gaps.
- Development of process and equipment digital twins and follow the applications
- Design model based experimental strategies
- Combine fundamental and data driven modeling techniques
- Partner with chemists, analyst chemical engineers from across PharmSci Small Molecule and to identify opportunities for application of process modeling to quantify risk and guide decisions for the development of API manufacturing processes
- Work with rest of the process modeling group and the engineering group to create and maintain libraries of equipment and unit operation models
- Work with external partners to develop and evaluate next generation process modeling techniques for pharmaceutical sciences
- Learn and develop modern process modeling methodologies and techniques.
- Act as a node for the generation of pre-competitive knowledge gathering with industry peers to learn from one another and drive effective collaboration to accelerate our knowledge, understanding and capability.
- Act as a consultant to project teams for application of process system methodologies in supporting technology transfer of API processes to internal Pfizer API manufacturing facilities and external suppliers.
- Collaborate with others to prepare internal research reports, technical presentations, external
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 0-4 years of relevant experience with emphasis in computational methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of chemical engineering principles, process modeling, process control and optimization methodologies including: reaction kinetics, reactor design, chemical thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, engineering statistics, modeling and systems.
- Experience in advanced mathematical modeling, such as creation of custom models relevant to chemical processes, defining mathematical frameworks and validation of process models
- Excellent knowledge reaction modeling, property prediction, and simulation computational tools including: gPROMs, AspenOne, Dynochem, Matlab/Simulink, Statistical methods
- Experience on Parameter estimation / Model development
- Experience in Optimization, Error propagation, and nonlinear dynamic analyses
- Experiences with Data Driven and Machine Learning techniques including Gaussian Processes and Bayesian Optimization
- Working knowledge of Python, C++ or other program languages
- Experience with modeling unit operation and continuous manufacturing processes
- Good foundational understanding of organic chemistry is desirable
Additional Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development