Sr. Machine Learning Engineer
Site Name: UK - London - Brentford, USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Apr 11 2022
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of Machine Learning and AI will allow us to develop transformational medicines using the power of genetics, functional genomics and machine learning. AI will also play a role in how we diagnose and use medicines to enable everyone to do more feel better and live longer. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and AI.
We're looking for an accomplished Senior Machine Learning Engineer to help us make this vision a reality. Competitive candidates will have a track record of shipping high performing AI/ML powered products in production environments. They are highly accomplished Machine Learning Engineers, with breadth across machine learning methods and depth in at least one area. Additionally, they are accomplished software engineers with a track record of shipping stable, tested, performant code and services in an agile environment.
Strong candidates will have graduate studies in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or the equivalent (or in the life sciences with a focus on machine learning techniques) and 2+ years of work experience. A senior engineer can consistently take a poorly defined problem and formulate clear objectives, then execute on it to build a high performing product or service. They are the model for the team in terms of code quality, standards, and best practices, and they act as mentors to junior members of the team. Educational or professional background in the biological sciences is a plus but is not necessary.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Graduate studies in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history. Candidates with graduate studies in CS and biological sciences or equivalent work history will be highly competitive.
- Experienced in software engineering with advanced skills in python and/or C++
- Experienced in PyTorch, TensorFlow, or other deep learning frameworks
- Experience across the ML stack, and depth in at least one discipline
- Experience having shipped products powered by machine learning
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in Computer Science
- Understanding and application of best practices in machine learning, software engineering, and/or production deployment of ML services
- Track record of contributing to open source projects
- Understanding of modern ML Architectures, Platforms, and backend systems
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high quality production code
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigors, and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0[Register to View] , or send an email [Register to View] site.