UX Design Intern (Summer 2023) - Hubbell US Offices
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HUS is also deeply engaged in product solutions for the Utility Communications and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) space and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HUS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HUS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas, and water industries.
HUS has four business units. Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) is our electrical components and infrastructure business. Aclara is our AMI and Meters business and also includes an installation business. Hubbell Gas Connectors and Accessories (HGCA) sells connectors and accessories for the repair, replacement and refurbishment of natural gas systems. Our fourth business is our Protection and Controls business which is our newest business initiative to drive substation communications, control and protection solutions. HUS provides these solutions in the Electric Utility, Water, Gas and Communications Market.
At HUS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of principled integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers. Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
77 West Port Plaza, Suite 500
St. Louis, MO 63146
**This position has the ability to work from any location where a Hubbell office is located.
The UX Design Intern will apply their knowledge and passion for user experience to improve our suite of enterprise software products. Our mission is to provide a consistent, easy to use, enjoyable, and efficient experience to the people who use our software every day. This position will work on real-world projects, bringing a renewed focus on accessible and inclusive design to our enterprise software products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating and applying business and technical knowledge to ensure adherence to Web Accessibility Standards (WCAG 2.0/2.1)
- Provide high-quality Web Accessibility Standards recommendations for enterprise software solutions
- Clearly summarize accessibility findings and provide recommendations for remediation, including code-level recommendations and solutions
- Collaborate with other departments and key stakeholders to share your insights
- Work with various teams to design, implement, and verify user interfaces and workflows for scalable enterprise software applications
- Assist with user research and analysis, user feedback sessions, and usability testing
Skills and Experience:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, Computer Science, Technical Communications, Information Science, Information Architecture, User Experience Design, Behavioral Science, Social Sciences, or related field
- Have a current portfolio of projects demonstrating designs and processes (student work is acceptable)
- Knowledge in user research methods and accessibility
- Knowledge of accessibility standards and guidelines (WCAG, WAI-AIRA).
- Excellent verbal communication, presentation, and problem-solving skills
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.