Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HPS is deeply engaged in product solutions for OSP Communication utility purposes, and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HPS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HPS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas and water industries.
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
The Design Engineer will be responsible for design of new HV (High Voltage) / EHV (Extra High Voltage) substation, distribution and/or transmission products, including surge arresters and metal oxide varistors. They will be responsible for technical aspects of existing designs, as well as continuous improvement, research, and new product development activities. A strong cross-disciplinary background is advantageous, as design projects may involve aspects of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or materials science (electrical ceramics, polymers).
Why work with us?
- Wide variety of tasks with a dynamic, growing business
- Learn from technical and commercial leaders
- Challenging and interesting work
- Formal Career Development Programs including Education Reimbursement
- Competitive Health Benefit Plan & 401K
- Flexible Vacation
- Flexibility to work remote Monday & Fridays + Summer Work Hours
- Participate in inclusion Groups including WATCH (Women Advancing Their Careers), VETS (Veterans Engaged to Succeed, MCM (Multicultural Men), and more
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform 3D CAD modeling and detail drawings, assist in patent searches, do necessary calculations, select materials, determine and coordinate tests, review and analyze costs, and solve design related problems
- Propose and lead major design projects, including New Product Development, either working independently or within a small project team
- Interface with customers and provide technical assistance when required, participate in relevant industry standards committee meetings, and increase understanding of power utility practices
- Evaluate and implement cost improvement actions as necessary
- Contribute ideas for design projects (both new and revised) and recommend new uses for existing products
- Collaborate with manufacturing on product design, tooling development, and manufacturing processes for assigned projects, and assist pilot runs and first article inspections
- Recommend and implement corrective actions, process deviations, engineering change requests, drawing updates, and related activities.
- Perform root cause analysis for product field failures within assigned product families.
- Develop proficiency in use of Inventor, AutoCad, and related systems for management of engineering-controlled drawings.
Skills and Experience
- Significant prior experience in design of high voltage electrical components, circuits, and/or materials
- B.S. with 5 - 10 years of industry experience or M.S. / Ph.D. with 0-3 years industry experience. B.S Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, or a related field.
- Experience with AutoCAD / Inventor, ElecNet, Coulomb or related software packages (3D CAD and/or FEA experience is preferred)
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with teammates
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and leadership skills
- Solid understanding of project management methodology
- Ability to develop detailed work plans, schedules and specifications
Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.