Pharmacy Resident - Walgreens Jackson, MS
Walgreens-Jackson, MS Community-based Pharmacy Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) Residency Program aims to develop advanced community pharmacists who will provide direct patient care to a variety of patient populations, collaborate with other healthcare professionals to optimize patient outcomes, and incorporate patient care activities into the daily workflow of a community pharmacy.
This PGY1 residency experience is based out of Walgreen’s Specialty Pharmacy #21165 and multiple other Walgreen’s pharmacies in the greater Jackson, MS area. Longitudinal learning experiences offer the resident the opportunity to practice continuously throughout the year in focused, direct patient care areas such as specialty pharmacy, medication and disease state management, routine and other immunizations, travel health, and clinical practice management. The resident will further develop patient care and management skills and knowledge while working directly with community pharmacist leaders.
Walgreens-Jackson, MS Community-based Pharmacy PGY1 Residency Program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) in association with the American Pharmacists Association (APhA). Graduates from this program are trained to be leaders in the pharmacy community and play an active role in advancing community pharmacy practice beyond dispensing.
- Develop collaborative programs to improve patient adherence and outcomes
- Provide medication therapy management and patient counseling across multiple patient populations
- Deliver preventative health services including routine immunization, off-site immunization clinics, and health coaching consultations
- Provide travel health consultations and administer vaccines
- Deliver chronic disease state management (DSM) education and action plans to multiple patient populations
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills
- Provide services for patients taking specialty medications for HIV, Hep C, and other conditions
- Lead patient-centered dispensing at a local Walgreens
- Participate in community outreach
- Assist as a preceptor of student pharmacists
- Design and conduct a practice-based research project then present research project findings at a professional conference
- Complete a teaching and learning certificate program, work in Walgreen’s corporate clinical office, and/or travel abroad for an international pharmacy experience (all are optional electives within the program)
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college or school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Ability to obtain pharmacist license within the state of residency within 90 days of the start of the residency program
- Submission of residency application materials to Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS)
- Individuals must participate in and adhere to the rules of the ASHP Resident Matching Program.
- Certified Immunizer or willing to become an immunizer within 90 days of hire.