What you'll do...
About Store N o 8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store N o 8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart's larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart's core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart's core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
About the Role
As the Director, Portfolio Strategy for Store N o 8, you will be responsible for defining and measuring the success of our portfolio companies, providing recommendations on levels of investment, and determining exit paths. You will work closely with the portfolio product leaders, GMs and FP&A team to build business models, validate assumptions, and define/measure KPIs. Additionally, you will work with Store No8 leadership to create recommendations to the Store No8 Board. The right person for this role must be passionate about learning new domains, technologies, and models, while operating in more grey and unproven areas - and demonstrates strong business judgement and analytical capabilities.
What You'll Do
• Build and maintain financial models and underlying assumptions, in partnership with GMs and Finance, to project and monitor investment in Store No8 portfolio companies
• Partner with product leaders and GMs to identify and measure investment stage-gates, OKRs, and KPIs to evaluate progress and readiness for graduation from Store No8
• Develop holistic recommendations to continue, stop, or accelerate initiatives, incorporating key factors including competitive advantages, alignment with business priorities, ROI, etc.
• Track and quantify post-exit success of the portfolio company, document key lessons and integrate into Store No8's playbook
• Monitor market/tech landscape and competitive developments in portfolio domains
• Drive growth strategy for the portfolio company, including 'build, buy, partner' analyses and due diligence as potential development partners arise to drive innovation in the right areas and at speed
• Conduct valuation analyses of portfolio companies on a regular basis to understand value driven by Store N o 8 to broader Walmart organization
• Create Board-ready presentations with clear POV/recommendations to drive decision-making around level of investment and exits
• Coordinate and build relationships across relevant Walmart business units to ensure continued stakeholder buy-in as initiatives mature
• Serve as a thought partner and co-executor to any of the start-ups as they refine their business models and/or evaluate pivots
• Help start-ups succeed within the parameters of a larger organization, removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance
What You'll Need
• 8+ years of experience in strategy consulting, investment banking, venture capital with a passion for retail, entrepreneurship, and innovation; MBA preferred.
• Demonstrated experience working with early stage/tech companies, with a highly developed understanding of investment drivers and stage-gates strongly preferred
• Very strong communication, presentation, and project management skills, with a high attention to detail
• Strong business judgement to make the right assumptions, draw analogues, and remedy strategic and operational gaps
• Strong analytical skills, able to identify what is needed to build, maintain, and pivot business and financial models on an ongoing basis
• Identify data needs and source data as needed; SQL/Tableau experience is a plus
• Excellent relationship-building skills, as this role requires cross-functional collaboration with various stakeholders across Store No8 and Walmart
• Ability to self-manage and 'manage up', with an understanding of when to operate independently and when to rely on leadership for support and oversight
• Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment and excel under pressure
• The desire to be both creative and technical-minded (interest in both design/strategy and analysis/metrics)
• Desire to stay on top of the market, emerging tech, customer trends, and competitors
• Entrepreneurial spirit with excellent, often scrappy, problem-solving skills
• Team player with integrity, dependability, and empathy
• Aware of what needs doing and keen to make it happen, however big or small
• Ability to manage and influence direct and indirect reports
• Ability to travel up to 25%
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
221 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN, NJ 07030, United States of America