Lead Software Engineer - Mobile Applications
Would you like to see the impact of your work on the real world? Is hands-on world class engineering and problem-solving part of your passion? Welcome to WBA Tech.
We are a team of technologists, under our visionary CEO Rosalind Brewer, working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, affordable, easier to use, efficient, and patient-focused. Through the user of technology, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the center of everything we do. You will be part of a team that will build the future of a healthcare platform that connects customers with doctors’ offices, hospitals, care centers, pharmacies, insurers and payors. Working for WBA Tech is rewarding because your efforts will make a true difference to customers and patients across the communities we serve in the U.S.
You will be involved in algorithm design, data structure at petabyte scale, imaging and speech processing, artificial intelligence and robotics, infrastructure and network designs at a massive scale.
We look for leaders and individual contributors in front end designers, backend Java programmers, Linux engineers, network engineers, software and algorithm designers (remember the big O notation?), AI implementers, image processing engineers, database designers (SQL and NoSQL), messaging engineers and security engineers with knowledge at protocol level.
WBA is #18 on the Fortune 500 list and our company purpose is more joyful lives through better health.
Are you a self-motivated, mission-driven Lead Software Engineer? If so, we are looking for you!
In this role, the Lead Software Engineer -Digital (Hybrid Role) will perform and implement activities that impact components / processes of specified functional areas of the Walgreens business software products, [Register to View] or other Digital/Online applications in an Agile and Cloud (Azure) environment.
In addition to being a hands-on software engineer you will lead, coach, mentor and guide a team of 5 to 6 engineers on the team on engineering initiatives for [Register to View] website and associated components.
- Plans, designs, develops and tests software systems or applications for software enhancements and new products including cloud-based or internet-related tools.
- Writes code that establishes and enhances coding specifications, typically for software programs and systems that have little or no precedent.
- Delivers software features with exceptional quality, meeting designated release plans and delivery commitments.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Leads the daily work of assigned work group / team. Recommends modifications to the daily operations of the assigned work group / team. Makes needed adjustments to short-term priorities.
- Owns a functional area. Breaks large requests down into sub-tasks, gives higher-level status updates. Writes test plans. Takes operational responsibility. Sets measurable goals and meets them. Reviews code changes.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise. Interacts with direct team of accountability, peers and/or managers in other teams.
- May interact with vendors and/or customers to share information and improve workflow processes.
- May design specifications of assigned projects and may lead in implementation.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of the professional function and advanced in-depth specialization in some.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Has proven expertise in software design, architecture and software and system interrelationships. Has expert knowledge of programming languages important to the organization.
- Sets software engineering project schedules, defines project parameters and tasks and monitors project tasks. Develops and keeps the "vision" of the project, leading others toward its completion.
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Owns the development and rollout for an entire product, or large project. Champions process (Scrum, TDD, etc.). Writes tech specs and identifies risks before starting major projects. Sets standards. Goes out of their way to reduce complexity. As needed, takes on additional “tech -lead” responsibilities for driving an initiative to completion.
- Allocates and tracks the work of individual contributors. Participates in teaching and training members of work group / team.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 4 years of Engineering, Software Engineering or related field OR High School/GED and at least 7 years of Engineering, Software Engineering or related field.
- Experience writing code for moderate to complex online applications, microservices or mobile applications or deployment automation.
- Experience with programming languages for online applications, microservices or mobile applications or deployment automation.
- Experience designing/building moderately complex applications.
- Experience writing automated test scripts.
- Experience creating coding/scripting solutions to fix complex problems/issues.
- Experience engaging and the executive level.
- At least 2 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership and/or cross-functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Prior experience in mentoring a team of engineers, tech lead or a leading an engineering team.
- Enthusiastic about promoting high quality standards in the team across documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation & CI/CD.
- Mentor team in the choice of Enterprise Integration patterns for a seamless integration with other enterprise & external assets.
- Big picture person with obsession about functional completeness, performance, security & resilience of end-to-end solution.
- Strong knowledge of implementation, security, capacity planning & performance tuning of solutions deployed to Cloud technologies – Azure (ACS, AKS), Google, IBM, AWS or Cloud Foundry.