Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Job Summary :
Builds & maintains machine learning and big data production pipelines to support advanced analytics, data science, and AI/ML solutions. Identifies valuable internal and external data. Collaborates closely with data and ML scientists to define data for the design, development, and deployment of new solutions that support strategic business priorities.
Job Responsibilities :
- Develops software that processes, stores and serves data and machine learning models for use by others.
- Develops large scale data structures and pipelines to organize, collect and standardize data that helps generate insights and intelligence to support business needs.
- Writes ETL (Extract / Transform / Load) or ELT processes, designs data stores and develops tools for real-time and offline analytic processing on premise or on cloud infrastructure.
- Develops and maintains optimal data pipelines into the ML and advanced analytics platform, including design of data flows, procedures, and schedules. Ensures that optimal data pipelines are scalable, repeatable and secure.
- Troubleshoots software and processes for data consistency and integrity. Integrates data from a variety of sources, assuring that they adhere to data quality and accessibility standards.
- Anticipates and prevents problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization.
- Collaborates with AI/ML scientists and data scientists to prepare data for model development, and to deploy models to production.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170 year heritage of caring for communities. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation’s medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high quality products and services in communities nationwide.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 4 years of experience in machine learning, software engineering, or data engineering
- Deep knowledge of SQL
- Significant experience programming in one or more of the following: Python, C, C++, Spark, Scala, and/or Java
- Experience with REST API development
- Experience establishing and maintaining key relationships with internal (peers, business partners and leadership) and external (business community, clients and vendors) within a matrix organization to ensure quality standards for service.
- Experience diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex business issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience presenting to all levels of an organization
- At least 2 years of experience contributing to financial decisions in the workplace
- At least 2 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership and/or cross-functional team leadership
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Graduate Degree in a technical discipline and at least 2 years of experience in machine learning, software engineering, or data engineering
- Experience deploying ML models at scale in production use open-source tools (Kubeflow, Seldon, etc)
- Experience with DAG-based workflow orchestration systems (Airflow, Prefect, etc).
- Experience with data processing pipelines using Apache Spark or Databricks
- Experience with ML registries (MLFlow, etc)
- Experience with CICD pipelines (Tekton, Azure DevOps, Github Actions, etc)
- Experience with using or configuring Kubernetes in a multi-tenant environment.
- Experience troubleshooting distributed systems and reducing performance and costs
- Experience writing and deploying production-grade Python applications and libraries
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and maintaining event-driven and reactive ML applications
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and maintaining of ML deployment systems for batch and streaming
- Experience with REST API development