Java Software Developer 3 - Data Engineering Platforms
Comcast’s Technology, Product & Experience organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards. Because our employees are our most valuable asset, we offer a flexible working environment to balance the need to work independently wherever you choose, with days that require collaboration at one of our offices. Our roles primarily reside inside or around one of our Tech Hubs (Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs, Denver, Austin, Silicon Valley, Washington DC/N. Virginia).
Job SummaryResponsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests and assists with the integration of new applications. Documents all development activity. Assists with training non-technical personnel. Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Usually determines own work priorities. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
Timeline is a Customer Data Platform that collects large volumes of high-value data to provide the best customer experience possible. Timeline begins with a self-service platform named Elements to onboard events and profiles, ingests the data through multiple interfaces, presents information in a 360-degree view of the customer, analytical reporting, and numerous other tools to support Comcast customers.
As an Engineer 3, candidate will be responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests, and assists with the integration of new applications. Oversees the documentation of all development activity. Assist with supervising performance metrics. Has in-depth experience, knowledge, and skills in own subject area. Usually settles own work priorities. Integrate knowledge of business and functional priorities. It is strongly encouraged that you participate in Comcast events, discussions, and organizations throughout the company to lift Timeline and Comcast up together.Core Responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining and developing scalable functionality for the systems that pull customer experience data.
- Design and develop distributed, scalable, and fault-tolerant software applications to meet business requirements by using Java, Python, and Shell Scripting.
- Utilize Kafka, Kinesis, Terraform and AWS cloud to create software architecture and design solutions that improve the customer experience
- leverage Agile methodologies and the software development lifecycle to deliver products in a timely manner
- Maintain and support products and platforms to minimize downtime and prevent customer impacts.
- Participates in training representatives and operations staff on internally developed software applications.
- Researches, writes, and edits documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and mentorship with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to resolve if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Gain deep knowledge of our platform, implement best practices and processes, and assist the team with eliminating technical debt.
- Work with our tech stack and tooling which includes, but is not limited to: Java, Python, AWS, Concourse, Terraform
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, skills, and their application in specified engineering specialty.
- Displays knowledge of and ability to apply, project management skills.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance. Ability to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as vital.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Experience developing in Java/ Python
- Experience with AWS cloud
- Experience with REST Web services
- Experience with Git
- Understanding of Terraform
- Understanding of Containerization
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Be responsible for the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them magnificent digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be hardworking learners, users and advocates of our groundbreaking technology, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new insights.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth!
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.