Engineer, Collaboration Tools & Operations
Comcast’s Technology, Product & Experience organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards. Because our employees are our most valuable asset, we offer a flexible working environment to balance the need to work independently wherever you choose, with days that require collaboration at one of our offices. Our roles primarily reside inside or around one of our Tech Hubs (Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs, Denver, Austin, Silicon Valley, Washington DC/N. Virginia).
Job SummaryAs a Software Development Engineer 4 on the Unified Communications team, you will play a key role in crafting the future of conferencing technologies and partnership tools. You will be a recognized leader in this space and will work directly with end users and Divisions/Partners to help move Comcast’s video and teamwork technologies in the right direction. As a result, you should be passionate about the conference room experience and have a strong desire to play a major role in evolving the technologies that support a future hybrid workforce.
The Engineer 4 role in the Unified Communication Team is a leader with vision in the areas of collaboration tools, video conferencing and operations. This individual is a key resource providing operational support across all the technologies in the Unified Communications infrastructure. You will work directly with the Telephony, Video and Collaboration teams to ensure the quality of end-to-end experience for users in conference rooms and hybrid meetings/events who are applying Microsoft Teams and other collaboration tools. You will also be a key player in the nationalization of AV Conferencing Standards and the implementation and support of Microsoft Teams Rooms. As the lead engineer in the collaboration and video operations area, you will help mentor and guide junior engineers and provide overall technical leadership to the team. You will also partner with your peers in telephony operations to ensure the capabilities exist to support collaboration and conferencing needs.
Who does the Engineer, Collaboration Tools & Operations work with?
Unified Communications engineers collaborate with industry authorities from subject areas including virtual meeting/event tools, audio and video technologies and AV Integrators providing installation & upgrade services. You work closely with Microsoft, Cisco and other leaders in the collaboration tools space. You will partner with other technology companies like Polycom, Logitech, and Crestron to support products deployed within the Comcast environment. You will work with Comcast AV and IT peers, as well as engineering teams from across the national footprint including the Divisions, Partner Teams, NBCU and SKY.
What are some exciting problems you’ll be working on?
Comcast seeks to be an authority in crafting the future hybrid workplace experience. We are passionate about standardizing and improving the conference rooms experience, implementing a hybrid events' solution, handling a flexible seating solution, and producing hybrid and on-site events. We are looking for individuals to help us implement technologies that build an outstanding collaboration experience for all users regardless of their location.
In your role, you will be an authority in the development and operations of Comcast collaboration tools and infrastructure. You will Identify issues and resolve root cause. You will be passionate about ensuring the effective deployment of current and future solutions as well as assisting in crafting the infrastructure vital to supervise and support new collaboration needs. You will implement a next generation monitoring solution to enable proactive alerting on in-room and infrastructure issues. Evaluate new product releases for basic reliability and provide engineering mentorship to frontline teams who are supporting the end users.
Where can you make an impact?
You will be making a significantly measurable contribution to crafting the future hybrid workplace for Comcast. Your decisions will help craft the technology capabilities and direction for collaboration and conferencing. You will bring the expertise and background in this technical area to assist us in delivering on our dedication to build “the best hybrid workplace.”
What You’ll Do:
- Define user needs and evaluate future technologies to support the hybrid work experience.
- Collaborate with project collaborators to identify product and technical requirements. Conduct analysis to resolve integration needs.
- Evaluate new applications and support current deployed applications.
- Develop and maintain update processes for existing applications and devices
- Assists in the deployment of new product releases
- Handle lab spaces and testing facilities for next generation AV equipment
- Assist in developing procedures to support a national monitoring and support structure.
- Track and handle the tickets and rework associated with collaboration tools and infrastructure.
- Work with Vendors and AV Integrators to provide T4 Services across the entire Comcast footprint
- Coordinates the researching, writing, and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals, formal recommendations and reports.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Serve as a guide and mentor for junior level Engineers.
- Know the latest with technological developments within the industry. Supervise and evaluate driven applications and products. Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Displays expertise and knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts and skills in the area of specified engineering specialty
- Present and defend architectural, design and technical choices to internal audiences.
Here are some of the specific technologies we work with day to day
- Microsoft - Teams Devices & Direct Routing, 365 Suite, Azure, Exchange Online
- Cisco - WebEx, Telephony, Telepresence, Contact Center
- Comcast Digital Voice telecom carrier infrastructure
What You’ll Bring:
- 9+ years programming, scripting, and/or automation experience
- Experience writing in programming languages such as Python, C#, Go, Ruby
- Experience in IT service automation using such tools as Runbooks, Saltstack SCM, Power Apps
- Consistency to modern IT security standards
- Understanding how to scale applications for variable loads
- Experience with web application development including dynamic HTML, CSS, and JS integration
- Ability to administer Linux-based operating systems
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Shown good design philosophies and problem solving skills
- Takes ownership of problems and sees them through to resolution
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
Employees at all levels are encouraged to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Be responsible for the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them detailed digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be hard-working learners, users and advocates of our groundbreaking technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new insights.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Get results and growth!
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity!
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products and next-generation technologies that transform the customer experience Technologies (CXT), led by Rick Rioboli, EVP and Chief Information Officer, and are responsible for the technology, systems and tools that support the customer lifecycle (sales, activation, billing, support, etc.), as well as employee-facing teams such as human resources, finance, and workplace information technology. These tools and systems are foundational to our ability to meet and exceed customer expectations and support an excellent employee experience.
Our vision is to be an authority in products, services and solutions which power and enable fabulous, connected customer experiences for Comcast and other organizations through a steadfast focus on clarity and collaboration.
- This information has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.