Principal Engineer, Engineering Operations
Job SummaryResponsible for participating as a technical expert. Plans and directs project teams, troubleshoots operational issues, providing technical solutions to operational problems, contributes to new product implementation, implements existing products and services and the provides overall upkeep and maintenance of designated areas of engineering. Applies expert engineering methodologies in one or more engineering areas. Interfaces with vendors, engineering and peer operations organizations. Acts in compliance with industry and Company technical requirements, standards, policies and procedures. Provides technical leadership to junior Engineers and project teams.
Job DescriptionJob Description
As a senior member of the Syndication XMP team you are responsible for Strategic Planning, Operational, Integration, Problem, and Change management support for a set of applications within Syndication Engineering group. The applications include API for partner back office integration, and other components required to integrate Comcast products & technology with large MSO’s systems across North American, Europe, and Asia/Pacific. You will participate in planning and design of the team's operational environment and monitor emerging technologies/technology practices for potential use within the team and company to meet the needs of the Syndication business. You will be provided with an opportunity to work with cutting edge cloud technologies while interfacing with other Comcast teams and Comcast partners.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
We are looking for an outstanding Operations engineer within the CTS organization who will work closely with developers and program delivery teams that are responsible for delivering new products and functionality to partner providers. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the Senior Software Engineer work with?
You will work closely with Syndication Engineering, Production Support, Partners, CTS Engineering team, the CTS Program Delivery teams and the CTS Operational Readiness Team to ensure reliable delivery and operations for the features and capabilities used by our Syndication partners.
What are some interesting things you will be doing?
- In this role, you will be responsible for strategic planning of our Operational Environment, ensuring reliable delivery and operations of the Syndication software components used by internal Comcast teams and our Syndication Partners.
- You will be a senior member of DevOps team that leverage CI/CD and Agile practice and work with emerging public cloud and other technologies.
- You will help with on-boarding of the new partners, helping them to start using our technology stack
- You will work with the internal engineering teams at Comcast to help those teams to troubleshoot partner issues.
- You will be integral part of the agile delivery team utilizing such software delivery concepts as CI/CD, Infrastructure as a Code, and Configuration as a Code
- You will be working with latest cloud technologies to deliver best value to our partners
- You will have opportunity to coach more junior team members
- You will have opportunity to interact with Comcast partners in order to monitor and support their operation
As a senior member of team the Principal Engineer, Engineering Operations will be responsible for strategic planning, implementation, and ongoing support of our multi-continent cloud-based operational environment. In particular:
- Develops strong technical knowledge of key applications, services and user communities.
- Lead strategic planning of our technical operational environment
- Effective Incident Manager during outages who have the respect of management and Engineer fix agents.
- Partners with Engineering and Deployment peers to drive meticulous root cause investigations and action items which improve system availability and resiliency
- Collaborates with development teams to understand application changes and identify potential issues that may arise, build implementation and back-out plans, and oversee the implementation during the scheduled maintenance window.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced 24x7 technical operations environment.
- Expand the document development best practices
- Assist with cloud-based infrastructure planning and implementation
- Work with partners and technical architects on operational technical requirements definition as needed
- Be integral part of the team's agile practices, propose the delivery process optimizations as needed
- Assist in the ongoing system support and maintenance
- Displays expertise in knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, and skills and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Passioned about learning new technologies and concepts, quick learner
- 7+ years of hands on troubleshooting experience of a complex large scale enterprise application server environment
- 7+ years of technical experience supporting Operational Planning, Operations, Incident Management, Problem Management, and Change Management
- Understanding of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles, Incident Management and Crisis Management
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with ability to articulate sophisticated emergent situations clearly to all levels of the organization.
- Solid understanding of application servers and applications services, load balancing and database technologies
- Knowledge of the AWS cloud environment, including API Gateway, SNS/SQS, Lambda, CloudWatch, DynamoDB
- Embraces challenges, displays strong creative flexibility.
- Previous senior operational experience
- Working knowledge of AWS, specifically API Gateway, Lambda, CloudWatch, SNS, SQS, Elasticsearch, DynamoDB
- Excellent hands-on scripting skills (Python preferred)
- Understanding of automated deployment technologies in CI/CD context
- Familiarity with monitoring/alerting tools and patterns
- Experience in Telco/Cable/Media industry preferred
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.