Principal Backend Server Engineer-HYBRID-Xumo
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Job SummaryWe are looking for an experienced Principal Backend Server Engineer to lead with design, engineering, and integration of multiple backend systems for our in-house Video Content Management System (CMS). As the Principal Backend Server Engineer for the Xumo Software Engineering Team, you’ll lead a development of backend server application/infrastructure within the field of CMS. The role will require strong skills with backend server development, including manipulating various video contents provided from content partners, to allow operation teams to generate high quality video streams that will be distributed to millions of viewers through streaming devices. To succeed in this role, its necessary to continuously provide clear technical solution which satisfies the business requirement from product and operation team. Responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests and assists with the integration of new applications. Oversees the documentation of all development activity. Trains non-technical personnel. Assists with tracking performance metrics. Provides guidance and support to other Engineers. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise. Comcast and Charter Communications will form a 50/50 joint venture that will bring our world-class Flex streaming platform, 4K streaming devices, voice remote and XClass TVs nationwide. You will want to join our innovative team, because together we will develop and offer consumers a next-generation streaming platform, with a world-class user experience and navigation and all the top apps, bringing more choice to the streaming marketplace. Comcast also will contribute XUMO to the joint venture, our free ad-supported service that currently delivers more than 200 unique streaming channels and features hundreds of free content choices.
Lead architect, design, develop the Video Content Management System
- Collaborate with product and operation team to collect requirements for update/new features, and share technical solution using documentation that includes diagrams, that can be broken down as development tasks to share with multiple developers.
- Develop new product concepts and deliver prototypes with Product and Operation team. Gather and finalize software requirements based on business and product requirements by translating design and wireframes into high-quality code.
- Developing Video Content Management System, that includes developing UI and backend pipelines for video ingestion, schedule programming, and video catalog / EPG exports.
Plan and manage the back-end development
- Collaborate with Server team, Client team to manage the development requirements and priorities, discussing the best approach and solution.
- Develop and provide technical documents for CMS on both to internal and external to explain the specification of interface to interact with other systems
- Make decisions about what approach appropriate to solve the business/product problem by extending our feature set, managing a reusable component library, and improving our user experience.
- 10+ years’ experience of building backend servers (Java)
- 10+ years’ experience of building web service APIs (REST/SOAP) and HTTP/SSL protocol
- 10+ years’ experience of operating database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MongoDB)
- 10+ years’ experience of working with Linux-based operation system (CentOS, OSX)
- Strong experience developing microservices (Docker) on Kubernetes
- Strong experience with operating servers on cloud-based environments (Google Cloud, AWS, Azure)
- Strong leads with designing, implementation skills to approach the solution for any new features or problem solving
- Self-starter to able to work with minimal supervision for high quality output
- Experience manipulating video contents (content metadata, caption file, video format file, etc.)
- Knowledge of various video formats: HLS, MP4, Mpeg-Dash
- Experience developing scalable and highly available applications
- Experience with message queue transactions for server communication (RabbitMQ, Kafka)
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development and customizes current applications. Develops software update processes for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assists with technical leadership throughout the design process and assists in guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide mentor for Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements. Tests and evaluates systems, subsystems and components.
- Acts as a technical contact and liaison for outside vendors and/or customers.
- Presents and defends architectural, design and technical choices to internal and external audiences.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
- Sr. Director, Engineering
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Comcast will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Pay Range: $151,976.55 - $227,964.83
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.