Intern - Accounting
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
The Intern position is within WM's Great Lakes Area Accounting Team. The selected candidate(s) will be part of a dynamic team where you can add value but also learn, develop and move forward in your career! As an intern, you may work across a variety of finance functions within the Great Lakes Area. You will also develop relationships with team leaders and make an impact with your developing accounting skills. Ultimately, a successful Intern will be a problem solver who can use critical thinking and analytical skills to support and bring value to the work being performed within the accounting department.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares highly complex journal entries for entry into the general ledger system on a monthly basis by collecting necessary data, analyzing and/or allocating costs and preparing audit train support for the journal entries.
- Analyzes general ledger accounts for accuracy; analyzes accrual accounts to ensure proper accruals.
- Collects and analyzes financial data and prepares monthly combined financial statements and reports. Performs additional analysis for explanatory text required for reports and statement. Coordinates preparation of monthly financial package and reviews for accuracy.
- Participates in monthly financial meetings for discussion and review of monthly financial reports.
- Provides expertise and guidance to other Finance personnel for proper internal and external financial accounting procedures and their application.
- Assists with the maintenance and application of internal controls.
- Prepares highly advanced financial reports in a timely and accurate manner; and completes individual analytical projects in a satisfactory manner given abstract project guidelines.
- Assists departmental managers/directors with supervision of other clerical and professional staff of the department as required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Interns must have a High school diploma and be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Completed Course Work Hours: 60.0 [This would indicate student is at least a Junior]
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- None required
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Ability to work well with others across a variety of levels and skillsets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in business, accounting and finance issues, topics, and trends
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.�