Engineer Training Program - Solid Waste
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
ENGINEER TRAINING PROGRAM (ETP) - This is a 1 year training program. This position requires an individual with ambition and curiosity as well as engineering technical skills. You will begin your professional journey under the mentorship of experienced technical staff and managers. You will dive into understanding waste management processes, including landfill operations, regulatory permitting and compliance, construction, and environmental management systems. In addition to the technical engineering aspects, the role is diverse and ever interesting as it requires creativity and active participation in multiple functions of the business such as project planning and budgeting, accounting, contract negotiations, regulatory interaction, construction oversight and operations. Competitive candidates will have an Engineering degree, preferably in environmental, solid waste, civil, or construction.
After completion of training you may stay at the same site or relocate to a site within a given market area. Relocation assistance will be provided. We currently have openings at multiple sites throughout the U.S.
This is NOT a full time office job. You will be outside a fair amount working in and around landfills so you should be agreeable to working in dirty and noisy environments with possible weather extremes.
Start dates will be in the May-June time frame
II. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develops an understanding of all permits governing the construction and operation of landfill disposal sites and other operations, such as waste transfer stations, collection operations and material recovery facilities, in an assigned area.
- Works with professional consulting firms in preparing regulatory documents, such as permit applications, for adherence to regulatory requirements and consistency. with site conditions, with an eye toward improving efficiencies in safety, design, constructability, quality, compliance and cost savings.
- Assists and works alongside with senior level WM engineers on construction projects.
- Works with operation teams to ensure compliance with permits and to prevent or resolve operational issues.
- Assists in the preparation and/or review of engineering, monitoring and environmental reports.
- Assists in environmental reviews and audits.
- Works with landfill managers to formulate short-term and long-term goals and action plans in alignment with WM objectives.
- Assists in estimating the cost of identified site capital needs and follow-through with inclusion in annual budget exercises.
- Interacts with state and local agencies to foster positive working relationships and to insure efficient and effective compliance with regulations.
- Reviews and understands WM engineering and technical directives and Best Management Practices and implement at sites in your assigned area.
- Provides technical support to operations and environmental staff, such as landfill gas technicians, and other functional areas.
- Participates in continuing education opportunities to maintain and enhance personal skill sets and continually look for opportunities to integrate new knowledge, technologies and innovations into WM operations.
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) in Engineering.
- Experience: No previous years of experience (in addition to education requirement).
- None Required
- Possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect and interpret data and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret documents such as contracts, regulations, permit documents, procedural manuals, contracts and safety rules.
- Ability to follow established procedures and follow directions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to draft reports or data submittals at state and local levels.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
Listed below are key points regarding the work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, tablet data entry, office machine operation, etc.).
- Ability to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds.
- Site work may involve exposure to physical occupational risks associated with chemicals, fuels, wastewater, and construction operations such as dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes and/or similar.
- Travel up to 50% of time within your assigned area.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.�