Route Manager Trainee (Entry Level & Experienced Hire)
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Route Manager Trainee (RMT) training program is intended to prepare individuals to become frontline Route Managers. The majority of the day is spent in the field, interacting with frontline employees. Through our hands-on training program, we will teach you how to increase financial profitability, maximize operational efficiency, improve customer satisfaction, and lead teams of people. Candidates must be willing to relocate within a certain geographic area at the end of the training program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Provides timely and consistent touchpoints with frontline employees.
- Conducts regular review of best practices to enhance daily performance.
- Partners with Drivers and Technicians to develop job-related skills.
- Completes the assigned RMT training curriculum and all other assigned training.
- Actively practices and seeks feedback on coaching conversations.
- Collaborates with all frontline managers to learn the day-to-day business operations (i.e., Operations Improvement Manager, Fleet Manager, Sales Manager, District Managers, Route Managers)
- Develops knowledge of DOT & OSHA safety programs and systems; operational business processes, systems & tools; performance management; dispatch & routing; fleet maintenance processes.
Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Adjusts messaging to audience experience, background, and expectations.
- Speaks in a clear, direct manner by using appropriate body language, eye contact, and facial expressions to maintain the audience’s attention.
- Organizes communication in a logical manner and ensures audience understanding.
Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Effectively prioritize tasks, determine resource requirements and allocate the appropriate amount of time to complete tasks.
- Leverages resources and work efficiently.
- Uses time effectively and avoids distractions from interfering with work completion.
Strong decision-making skills
- Identifies and understand issues, problems, and opportunities by comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions.
- Uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
This job may have periodic leadership/management responsibilities throughout the program.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Two (2) years of relevant work experience.
B. Driver’s License & Relocation Requirement
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to maintain a valid driver’s license and clean driving record throughout the duration of employment in this position.
- Must be able to ride in a vehicle for up to 12 hours or sit at a desk for up to 12 hours per day.
- Willing to consider relocation within an assigned geographic area at the conclusion of the training program, if required.
- Exposure to work in transportation, logistics, warehousing or solid waste operations.
- Exposure to Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint or reporting tools.
- Flexible with shift start times, as site hours of operations are from 4:30am -5pm local time.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The normal setting for this job is: an office, outdoors in the cab, and/or on route with frontline employees.