Process Improvement Internship
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
With Process Analyst supervision, act as a liaison between the business, senior leadership, and technology teams on operations, process redesign/improvement, process management, new systems, and enhancements of existing systems. The Process Improvement Intern will have the opportunity to support business process analysis using DMAIC framework, needs assessments and cost/benefit analysis for process & technology-enabled projects; conducts process root cause analysis & redesign. The Process Improvement Intern will work as part of project team.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Support the Process Improvement analyst in business process analysis & redesign using DMAIC framework including responsibilities for creating process mapping, pareto analysis, side-by-side observation, presentation building, and communication to leadership of identified problems and solutions.
- Communicate and coordinate with business stakeholders working cross departmentally to determine/document business and user requirements, process flow definitions, and functional specifications
- Track status of projects, build & maintain timelines, manage risks/issues, and communicate project status to appropriate leadership.
- Work with Process Analysts & business stakeholders to ensure adoption of process/technical changes are effectively and efficiently rolled out
- Review project progress and evaluate results for accuracy and efficiency
- Drive business transformation – change the current state into a more effective and efficient future state aligned to goals and objectives
- Monitor work processes, procedures and expenses, and establish programs which drive team performance toward departmental and organizational goals
- Oversee the efficient operation and cost-effectiveness of operating systems and programs.
- Make recommendations & help implement improvements to the current state processes to improve operational quality, speed, or customer experience
- Communicate project status each week in team meetings with Process Leadership
- Present an end of semester wrap up on projects work, key insights discovered, lessons learned, and impact achieved
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- This job has no supervisory duties but may occasionally assign activities to other employees as individual projects demand.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (in progress) in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math, Business Innovation/Analytics
- Experience: Relevant coursework and/or co-op/intern experience in process improvement, data analytics & project management
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Six Sigma Green Belt (or equivalent work experience) Preferred
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Advanced Excel Skills
- Advanced PowerPoint Skills
- Basic Statistical Analysis Skills
- Exposure to Lean, DMAIC, Process Mapping, & SOP Creation
- Project Management Experience
- Ability to learn new concepts, apply analytical/critical thinking, multitask and prioritize projects.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- High level of internal drive and self-motivation.