Walpole, MA OR Indianapolis, IN
As the Hydrodynamics Specialist you will become a key contributor to a small, but versatile team of engineers responsible for the design, analysis, manufacture, installation, and support of marine propulsion equipment for naval applications. You will be responsible for the hydrodynamic design, analysis, and model scale test/evaluation of propellers, propeller blades, waterjets, and other marine propulsion devices utilizing proven tools/techniques also used by USN to achieve high performance designs. You will also be responsible for the structural evaluation of the propeller blades, hubs, hub components, shafting, etc. that comprise the complete propulsion system. In this role, you will be the primary liaison between foundry, blade machining production, and quality/inspection to facilitate the production of hydrodynamic components, their geometric validation, and disposition of any non-conformances. You will also support proposal development for new designs, and support funded programs to conduct of critical calculations and analyses supporting formal reports and customer deliverables. You will be expected to develop and maintain a strong relationship with counterparts within the USN technical community as well as supporting shipyards, ship designers, and research universities.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
We’re at the forefront of innovation and experience in the Marine sector, and our product portfolio ranges from standalone products to complex integrated systems including ship design. A leading provider of propulsion and handling solutions for the maritime offshore, merchant and naval markets, we have more than 4,000 customers, with 70 naval forces and over 30,000 commercial vessels using our equipment.
- Knowledge of computational fluid dynamics tools and techniques from inviscid potential flow codes, to RANS/LES
- Programming in Fortran, Basic, C, C++ or other procedural code language
- Familiarity with Marine Propeller Blade Geometry design parameters and Metrology methods used to inspect propeller blade geometry
- Model scale test evaluation of marine propellers for open water, powering, and cavitation performance, and the prediction of full scale performance
- Mechanical design/analysis, familiarity with reading/interpretation of detailed engineering drawings and tolerance specifications in accordance with ANSI Y14.5
- May be required to travel up to 10% of your time
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic
- A Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Ocean Engineering/ Naval Architecture, with 5+ years of experience OR;
- A Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Ocean Engineering/ Naval Architecture, with 3+ years of experience.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity you must be a U.S. Citizen and have the ability to get DoD security clearance, confidential.
Interest in hydrodynamics as applied to marine applications and vehicles
- Exposure to CFD (RANS, potential flow or lifting line).
- Programming experience in Fortran, Basic, C, C++, Python or other procedural code language to solve technical problems.
- 3D CAD experience
Pioneer an ocean of power. Join us and you’ll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.
Pioneers of Power
We are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realize their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy [Register to View] .
So that you can be your best at work and home, we’ll consider flexible working arrangements for everyone, in any role.
Closing date: 20th April 2022