Transport Network Engineer
Lightpath is one of the largest competitive local exchange carriers in the tri-state area. We own and operate our infrastructure "from the ground up" by deploying over 20,000 route miles connecting 13,500 on-net/LIT buildings, With a strong portfolio of cutting edge solutions for Internet, WAN, Voice, SD-WAN, Security & Cloud services, we enable Enterprise customers of all sizes the ability to react to new challenges while developing best practices for the future. With Lightpath’s continued focus on network excellence and a “customer first” service commitment, we are building a workforce of the best talent that will meet the needs of our customers and reflect the diverse communities we serve.
The Network Engineer is responsible for planning, designing, and engineering of Metro-Optical transport and Regional Network. He/She will design and engineer complex network designs via Network Design Packages, with a rapid turnaround and minimal re-work. He/She will coach and collaborate with other Network Engineers and Sales Engineers to ensure knowledge transfer and optimal, cost effective designs. Network Engineer will work with Sales to provide rapid turnaround of Engineering and Costs estimates for new and prospective opportunities. They will coordinate & collaborate with Data and Technology Planning organizations to ensure a large cross-flow of information so that new products and platforms launch in a scalable and economical fashion across the Lightpath network. He/She will track CAPEX projects for network augment capacity in regard to schedule and costs. Although the Network Engineer will perform in a team-based environment, business needs and available resources will require a he/she to be self-motivated, focused on attention to detail, and able to self manage capital projects with an outstanding professional attitude.
- Provide reporting on the current state of the core network as well as provide medium to long term trends and expected date of exhaust, in addition, provide long term run rates for budgetary planning purposes.
- Proactively manage capacity of DWDM, SONET and Ethernet/IP networks. Trigger backbone capacity augments in a timely manner to ensure that the capacity is ready when customer demand materializes.
- Design Regional & Metro DWDM/ROADM, Layer II, MPLS/VPLS, SONET networks.
- Engineer and design Network Design Packages for customer services, network augments, build outs and equipment installations.
- Analyze the core network for opportunities to optimize the core network to yield efficiencies and economies of scale and avoid or delay future capital expenditures.
- Prepare Engineering Costs and Planning estimates & Projections for Large Scale Projects.
- Optimize and consolidate CAPEX Augments to realize network efficiencies and economies of scale in regard to Facilities and Network Engineering and possible Outside Plant investments.
- Collaborate with Data & Technology Planning on planning and design standards existing / new networks in multiple markets.
- Collaborate with Sales Engineering on proposed customer network design and RFP’s and insure that the proposed design will meet the customer’s requirement in a cost-effective manner.
- Collaborate with Technology team in the evaluation of new equipment software releases and document procedure and in new equipment and technology for network implementation.
- Extensive interaction with equipment suppliers, industry research departments, as well as other Internal Departments and Partners.
- Provide technical support and knowledge reference to their peers and other department.
- Establish and create equipment standard deployment rules sets and requirements documents.
- Work with vendors to make sure network equipment is at latest release and capture any requirements and initiatives that must take place to get us there.
- Responsible for the support of legacy technologies and their alternative replacement when needed.
- Provide Out-of-Hour support to Fulfillment and Support organizations (On-Call support).
- Prepare presentations for Lunch & Learns on Network Archecture and Standard Equipment Deployments.
- Provide Circuit Design support on best and effective design practices.
Key Business Relations
- The Network Engineer will work closely with all related management teams to fulfill business requirements and contribute to successful implementation of policy and procedures on an ongoing basis.
- The Network Engineer will work with:
- Technologies planning to coordinate and optimize network augments, execute on MOP’s and Scopes of Work, and Engineer to a broadly communicated Plan.
- Circuit Design – to coordinate complex Network designs into flawless Circuit Designs.
- Capacity Management - to ensure that all assumptions are fully tested and so that Capacity augments are fully communicated and proper information is taken into account for all necessary investment decisions.
- Sales Engineering - to ensure that all Large Scale Projects and opportunities are considered, so as to optimize CAPEX investment, leverage economies of scale, and spot any and all trends early on. Also – to educate and train SE team on Engineering Standards and capabilities.
- BS Degree – Engineering, Telecommunication or Computer Science. Masters preferred.
- Knowledge of Ciena 6500, Coriant/Tellabs 7100, Adva Optidriver required and Cisco ONS15454 MSTP/MSPP, NSN/Atrica, Cisco 15600, Cisco Catalyst Switches 3400/4900, Cisco 7600, Juniper MX960, and Nortel 5200 is a nice to know.
- Strong level knowledge of L2 & L3 service design including Ethernet & IP Architectures
- Preferable Cisco CCDA/CCNA Certifications
- Highly proficient in Core Transport hardware and software
- Experience with Netcracker or similar Planning and Provisioning tool inclusive of Ciena MCP, Adva FSP and Tellabs MetroWatch.
- Knowledge of SevOne Performance Management tool and Business Objects.
- Strong problem-solving skills, self starter and the ability to multitask
- Ability to grasp abstract concepts and adapt to technology evolutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good project management skills
- Strong decision making and leadership skills
- Complete understanding of the provisioning process
- Ability to influence others to meet desired goals
- 2-5+ Years of Telecommunication experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Streets & Trips, Visio & various operational Support Systems for internal and external presentations and complex network schematics.
- Familiarity with Network Management/DCN design.
- Excellent Documentation and Communication ability.
Lightpath is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Lightpath collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.