Material Handler II
- Duties and Responsibilities:
Level of accountability – Individual Contributor
GENERAL PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
- The Material Handler II is responsible for performing a variety of activities related to receiving, distributing, storing, dispensing, inventory control and/or shipping of samples, supplies, controlled substances, mail and/or other materials to meet company standards of quality, customer service, safety, and productivity.
B. Essential Job Duties:
- Performs a variety of duties related to receiving, distributing, storing, dispensing, inventory control and/or shipping in a safe and efficient manner, following Purchase order, P-Card or other internal instructions and applicable state and federal regulations.
- Loads and unloads freight in a safe manner. Operates any material handling equipment safely and efficiently. Makes certain all equipment needed for handling and moving of goods is available and in safe working condition.
- Verify contents of material received under purchase orders.
- Report shortages, damages, and incorrect shipments on appropriate forms and to designated personnel.
- Using internal computer systems, enter purchase order, sample, and/or inventory receipts, perform inquiries and print appropriate paperwork. Prepare logs for P-Card, Internet order and Freight receipts. Enter requisitions for select items based on inventory.
- Deliver materials or samples to proper locations.
- Ensure proper rotation and organization of stock and participate in physical inventories. Trace problems related to discrepancies and work with Buyer/RCP’s to resolve.
- Confirm internal stock requisitions, pick requested items, ensuring that the correct number and types of product are picked and delivered.
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area. Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse area. Comply with OSHA and MSDS standards.
- Performs all routine and non-routine activities in mail room (e.g., prepares manifests for local delivery service, process bulk or large volume mailings, receives, sorts and delivers internal mail, weighs and prepares outgoing mail, operates postal meter machine).
- Assists with preparing document and dangerous goods shipments (e.g.; package, secure container for shipment, affix appropriate label, and complete required documentation using shipping software). Assists in the preparation of and applies for necessary shipping permits.
- Accurately maintains records in area of responsibility (e.g.; receiving, shipping, picking, mail, controlled substances) and forwards to designated personnel as specified.
- Provides information to internal customers with regard to related departmental policies and SOPs.
- Understand cost factors and make suggestions for cost-effective alternatives.
- Work closely with internal personnel to maintain understanding of controlled substance handling and effectively control the materials and records to meet all legal, regulatory and company requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- This position has a local Sourcing and Logistics scope for one domestic facility but all activities will be carried out in alignment with policies of Covance Business Unit.
D. Principal Contacts and Scope of Communications
- This position interacts with Buyers, RCP’s, End Users and Logistics personnel on a daily basis.
E. Travel Requirements:
Rare, less than 5% of time. Primarily to other Covance locations or Training venues.
F. Language Skills Required:
- Speaking: English required
- Writing/Reading: English required
- Years of experience in the job discipline: 1-3 years of experience.
- Previous experience operating material handling equipment is beneficial.
III. Education/Qualifications/Certifications and Licenses
- Level of education required: High School diploma or GED.
- Professional certifications: receive and maintain DOT/IATA training certification.
- Covance Core Level Competencies
- Works under minimal supervision and semi-independently.
- Recognizes unusual situations and takes action if solution is within scope of ability or notifies supervisor/designee.
- Demonstrates strong skills in customer service and quality in performance of all essential duties.
V. Working Conditions:
- Work with potentially hazardous materials as required
- Work requires flexibility and availability when help or assistance is necessary
- Works with human blood and other potentially infectious materials, sharps and zoonotic agents as necessary
- Must be able to lift 50#
- Must be able to walk or stand 90% of the work day.
VI. Special Factors:
- Must be able to accurately read and record information.
- Must possess basic math skills.
- Working knowledge of personal computers preferred.
- Communication skills, both oral and written, are essential.
- Mandatory immunizations and screening as required.
- Overtime and weekend work as required.
Labcorp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer:
As an EOE/AA employer, Labcorp strives for diversity and inclusion in the workforce and does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind. We make employment decisions based on the needs of our business and the qualifications of the individual and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy or other medical conditions/needs), family or parental status, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, personal appearance, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic. We encourage all to apply.
For more information about how we collect and store your personal data, please see our [Register to View] .