Associate Director - Ratings & Valuation - Commercial Real Estate
Job Location: United States : New Jersey : Whippany
Alternate Job Location: Not Applicable : Not Applicable
Work Arrangement: Hybrid
Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $651 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both policyholders and shareholders. The enterprise has more than 900 dedicated professionals with extensive experience and expertise across public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate. Visit us at www.metlife.com/investments to learn more.
The Real Estate & Agricultural Finance team within MIM maintains a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real estate investments under management totaled $86 billion as of 9/30/2022.
The Associate Director, Ratings & Valuation Review position is a part of the Risk, Research & Analytics team supporting analytics of the commercial mortgage investments of MetLife Investment Management. This position plays a key role in assessing and communicating the credit risk of proposed and existing commercial mortgage investments through the evaluation of collateral values, cash flow projections, loan terms and market conditions. The position assigns internal bond-equivalent ratings to the investments, and it drafts ratings reports used by external and internal clients. The position helps assess and develop ratings tools and processes. Internal ratings are used to assess and track portfolio credit risk, communicate credit risk of individual loans to external and internal clients, and are used as a key input into the loan valuation, reserving and economic capital processes.
- Develop internal credit ratings for proposed and existing commercial mortgages, including senior, subordinate and below investment grade debt.
- Work closely with regional offices and loan managers to ensure appropriate understanding of assets necessary to accurately assign credit ratings and review collateral valuations.
- Use “best in class” ratings process and techniques for commercial mortgages, including the use of sophisticated commercial mortgage credit models.
- Support the Director of Ratings & Valuation Review in assessing ratings and valuations (rating migration, portfolio rating stratification, portfolio valuation trends, underwriting trends / cap rate trends, etc.).
- Train and direct other Associates.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills
- 7-10 years’ experience in Commercial Real Estate credit, underwriting or portfolio analytics or equivalent experience
- Experience in real estate credit and risk assessment.
- Experience in application of commercial real estate equity and/or commercial mortgage portfolio analysis tools and techniques in a rating agency, bank, insurance company, or other lending institution.
- Advanced analytical abilities and excellent communication skills.
- Experience with Argus, Word, Excel, and Power BI.
- Bachelor’s degree. Masters preferred.
- Knowledge of Moody’s CMM, CoStar’s Compass or similar commercial mortgage default models preferred.
- Experience working with regulators (state or federal), rating agencies and auditors preferred.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.