Broadband Technician IV - Fiber
We are Altice USA; a family of businesses that includes Optimum, Optimum Mobile, Optimum Business, A4 advertising, Cheddar, and News12. Our common goal is connecting our customers to friends and family, shows they love, advertising that resonates and news that matters. We're building a workforce that thrives on collaboration, inclusion, and innovation. We hope connecting you to a potential role is just the beginning.
Performs and assists in the installation, splicing, testing, documentation and service of fiber optic equipment in a manner that ensures company technical requirements are adhered to, thereby ensuring customer satisfaction through high level operational efficiency. Assist the fiber technician Senior, fiber technician advanced and fiber supervisor in daily work procedures. Position serves as a conduit for the delivery of all products such as Video, HSD, iO, VoIP, Lightpath and BCOOL to the customer.
- Performs survey's using system prints, red lines, walk wheel for all projects related to maintenance or new growth
- Performs as built of fiber optic enclosures and fiber optic cables utilizing system prints and at times producing drawings in the field.
- Responsible for the interpretations and utilization of fiber POC design principals in a manner that ensures a high level of operational efficiency.
- Possess adequate knowledge of headend operations in a manner that ensures fiber related tasks are performed in an efficient manner.
- Performs internal and external route engineering of fiber optic cables within Altice, Lightpath, and new or existing customer facilities to pole or trench line.
- Complies with safety guidelines as laid out in company safety manual, in relationship with OSHA, National Electric Safety Code (NESC), National Electric Code (NEC), Blue Book, SCTE construction and fiber manual and Building Officials Code Administration (BOCA).
- Performs troubleshooting of CATV system active and passive devices pertaining to fiber optic nodes utilizing company approved test equipment
- Works a flexible schedule, including weekends, nights, overtime, emergency storm duty and standby as needed
- Performs installation of fiber optic related components including but not limited to fiber jumpers, optical attenuators, and termination panels.
- Assist in performing emergency restoration of fiber damage or cuts. Including prepping, splice enclosure entry, building of splice enclosure, traying, locating of slack spans, and installation of restoration kits.
- Performs revisions of Altice / Lightpath fiber optic system prints or diagrams utilizing mapping software.
- Performs preparation of fiber optic cable for entry into an existing or new splice enclosure. Including taping down fiber cables, stripping of outer jacket, removal of (binder thread, armor, strength member, buffer tubes), exposure and cleaning of individual fibers, and splicing of non-service effecting (dark) low to intermediate count fiber cables
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of twelve to eighteen months Fiber/Splicing experience.
- Must have all working knowledge of duties/responsibilities in the BBT IV Fiber description.
- Ability to learn how to use a 28-foot ladder and lift 75 pounds.
- Valid state driver’s license applicable to state law.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and at various heights.
- Ability to operate all tools and equipment in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to climb utility poles.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including weekends, nights, overtime, emergency storm duty and standby as needed.
- Knowledge of all mdu, aerial, and underground construction procedures, specifications, materials, and equipment.
- Knowledge of grounding and bonding specifications as necessary.
- Knowledge of basic design calculations including fiber.
- Basic knowledge of computer skills. (MS office, GroupWise, Visio, Streets & Trips, Mapping/Drafting software)
- Ability to read maps. (Road and Systems)
- Knowledge of the following POC products but not limited to:
Fiber cables - (Single Mode, Dispersion Shifted, Multimode, Hybrid Fiber)
HFC Power Supplies - (3, 6 and 8 battery units)
HFC Coax Actives / Passives - Antronix, SA, Motorola/GI, etc
Coax Cable - Trilogy MC2, CommScope P1, 2 & 3 and other cables
Coax Connectors - all sizes from RG59 to 1125 inch QR
- Basic knowledge of but not limited to the following fiber test equipment
- Basic knowledge of but not limited to outside plant test equipment
- Internal Field Service Technician applicants must fully complete their field service career progression program and spend a minimum of twelve months as an Outside Plant Tech III to be deemed eligible.
Altice USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Altice USA, Inc. collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.
Applicants for employment with Altice will never be asked to provide money (even if reimbursable) as part of the job application or hiring process. Please review our [Register to View] for further details.